5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2010 4:22 PM by philmodjunk

Creating a layout/table that only contains selected records

LisetteG

Title

Creating a layout/table that only contains selected records

I am working with Filemaker Pro 10 on a Mac OS X 10.6.2 system and I'm pretty new to Filemaker Pro. Out database is a pretty simple set-up  - the records mostly consist of member contact and biographical information. We are currently updating contact information and collecting photographs, PDF files, and biographical information for every member. I work for an international educational grant program and we are currently trying to consolidate and update information for every grantee. We currently have 1600 records and have 5 interns locating and updating information for 200-300 members each. Their batch is mostly sorted and distributed by year, but the batches have a lot of random records in them. I'm basically trying to figure out if there is way to create a layout/table for each intern that will only contain their batch of records, so that they can easily search and filter within those records. Any advice on how to somehow go about this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Creating a layout/table that only contains selected records
          ninja

Howdy LisetteG,

Welcome to the forum.

I don't see anything in your post that hints at an intern not being ALLOWED to see a particular record, so I wont get into reccord access privileges.  Lets start with convenience...thats what I see you asking for.

Each record should be tagged with the person who is responsible for updating it.  Each intern, then, can search for their name in that field and be left with a 'found set' of their own records.

Create a field called "intern" and place it on the layout.

If desired, look under Format>Sliding and Printing and check off not to print this field.

Now create a custom value list under File>Manage>Value Lists and type in your 5 account names.

I will assume that each intern has their own account...if not, make it so...it will help.

The value list may look like:

msmith

jdoe

tjones     etc. with a retun after each in the list.

Now change the field setup on your layout to be a drop-down list using that value list.

As you go through the records, which it appears you need to do anyway, simply select via the dropdown menu who should be working on it.

Now put a button somewhere on the layout saying "Find Mine".

That button should perform a find for Table::Intern = Get(AccountName).

Now a single click of that button will put each intern into a found set of the records that they need to update.

I would go a step further and put a "Done" field on the layout that can be marked when the record is updated.  If you do this, the find step above would find not only when the "Intern" field matches the Account name, but also when the Done field is empty.

If you want this feature, have your "find mine" button perform the following script:

Enter Find Mode

Setfield [ Intern ; Get(AccountName) ]

SetField [ Done ; "=" ]

Perform Find []

The "=" will search for records in which that field is empty.

I am assuming the vocabulary I used is acceptable.  If you need more detail, please feel free to ask.

• 2. Re: Creating a layout/table that only contains selected records
            Jade

Bonjour LisetteG,

I'm sure that Ninja's reply is the best approach but I'm lazy so I'll suggest an easier way.

LisetteG wrote:

…Their batch is mostly sorted and distributed by year…

You probably have the "year" defined as a field in your table.  If it is not on your layout, add it.

Show your interns how to enter find mode and enter a value for the year.  This will limit their "found set" to records for that year until they perform another find. 

• 3. Re: Creating a layout/table that only contains selected records
              ninja

Nice one Jade...much easier if it meets the need.

I saw my post becoming a novel already...and I was on dial-up over the weekend.  Thanks for the add-on.

• 4. Re: Creating a layout/table that only contains selected records
                LisetteG
                   Thank you Ninja and Jade, I think we'll test both methods and see what's more efficient for our situation.  I'm wondering if there is a way to change a field for multiple records at the same time.
                • 5. Re: Creating a layout/table that only contains selected records
                  philmodjunk

Check out Replace Field Contents in the record menu.

It's a good idea to save a copy of your file first when you first test this one out as it can change large numbers of records in one step.