9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2013 8:26 AM by fmpro_novice

Creating a list from portal

fmpro_novice

Title

Creating a list from portal

I have 20 teams - each one has two fields.

1) Captain

2) Teammate

The teammates are added to the team by a portal. So, each record has a captain and four teammates. I need to create a list of all the players from the 20 teams. No distinction between the captains and the teammates, just a list of all the players participating. The list will then be sorted alphabetically and used as a sign-in sheet so names can be crossed off when the players arrive. My final list would simply be 100 names all in one list - no teams, no captains, just a list.

Does anyone know how to create something like this?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Creating a list from portal
          philmodjunk

A portal indicates that you probably have two tables. How are they related?

I would guess that you have A field in one table for the Team Captain and one related record for each team mate. Putting the captain in a differen field of a related (parent) record makes it impossible to get a list of teamates and captains all in one alphatized list, but you could list the teamates and captains by team, sorted alphatectically by team captains. The list might be organized like this:

Captain: John Smith
                 Teammate 1
                 Teammate 2
                 TeamMate 3
                 TeamMate 4

Captain: Fred Taggart
                  Teammate 1
                  Teammate 2
                   and so forth....

To get the list you describe would require entering the captain and teammates into the same field fo different records in the same tables--such as listing the captain in the first portal row and the 4 teammates in the next 4 rows...

• 2. Re: Creating a list from portal
            fmpro_novice

Wow. How simple. I'm glad it wasn't a snake. I'm going to try this, but I think this is exactly what is needed.

Thank you.

• 3. Re: Creating a list from portal
              fmpro_novice

I tried that. But the only names that show in my list are the first names in each portal.

• 4. Re: Creating a list from portal
                philmodjunk

And how did you try to set it up?

Base your layout on the portal's table of indivdidual team mates and not the team table. Use either list view or table view and sort your records by name.

• 5. Re: Creating a list from portal
                  fmpro_novice

I just created a simple layout and put the field on it for teammates. That only listed the first three names in each portal. Then, I tried putting the portal on another layout and removing everything but the names. I had a list of all the players, but they still showed inside their teams ( portals ). I could alphabetize the list inside each portal, but I need my list to be one long string of names.

• 6. Re: Creating a list from portal
                    fmpro_novice

Major modification - hopefully will simplify....

Now, I have removed the box for "Captain." The only thing I have is the portal. All five players are added to the event with no distinction between "captain" or "teammate."

I need to pull all these players off their teams - and make one list of all the players in the event. Right now, I can list the players, but they are listed with their teams. I need one long list of players, so I can alphabetize them.

Thanks.

• 7. Re: Creating a list from portal
                      philmodjunk

As I I have previsously posted, you need a layout based on the portal's table. Set that up with list or table view and you will see all the members of the team listed. You'll need to pay attention to which table occurrence is selected in "Show Records From" in Layout Setup...

You may want to add a field to this table where you set a value to identify which person is the team captain.

• 8. Re: Creating a list from portal
                        fmpro_novice

Thank you, Phil. I think I have it.

Charlie

• 9. Re: Creating a list from portal
                          fmpro_novice

Now that I have this going, at least in the right direction. There is one more hitch. The players that are listed in a particular event, are added to that event from a larger database. When I go to the layout that I want to show my current event list from, the players that are in the event are showing, but I have blank records for every single player that is in the large database. In the example I'm working with now, there are only 8 players in the event ( two teams of 4). My list is showing the 8 players, which is what I want. But I am showing hundreds of blank records on that page. I know this has to do with what you said about Show Records From....but not sure how to fix it.