4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2012 10:19 AM by ChristopherPayne

Creating a list of data as a record of tasks perfomed

ChristopherPayne

Title

Creating a list of data as a record of tasks perfomed

Dear Forum

What i want to do seems simple enough, but I have tried several methods with no success.

I have records which are tasks - each is a test on a piece of equipment. The tests are done weekly or monthly etc. I want to have a list or history of the tests done for each task, basically like this:

Date of testTested By

01.07.12John

08.07.12John

15.07.12David 

etc, etc.   As each is entered another one can be added. I would need a scrollable list up to 52 lines or more.

It's like putting an excel spreadsheet or word table into the database. 

Can anyone help? I tried using a portal, but it leads into relationships and I prefer to work on a single table rather than multiple tables.

I also tried a self join relationship but that started creating new database records everytime I added a new date for 1 task! 

Any help much appreciated...

Regards

C

• 1. Re: Creating a list of data as a record of tasks perfomed
          philmodjunk

Can anyone help?

Not much, given this requirement:

I tried using a portal, but it leads into relationships and I prefer to work on a single table rather than multiple tables.

FileMaker is a relational database system. Trying to use it as a flatfile, single table solution as was necessary back in the days of FileMaker Pro 2.5, is pretty much like driving a car and refusing to use any gear but first gear. You can get where you are going, but you won't get there very fast and you are avoiding features intended to accomplish what you want in a manner that is user friendly and efficient.

That said, have you tried using either table or list view for you layout? Table view will be very similar to a spreadsheet in look and function. List View can be set up to look much the same. It takes a bit more work, but the result is often a better layout for the general user than table view. In either case, you would create one record for each task in your table.

• 2. Re: Creating a list of data as a record of tasks perfomed
            ChristopherPayne

Dear PhilModJunk

Thank you for your suggestion. I take your point but then again, I am a learner driver, so first gear does describe it quite well.

I already have relationships working across 3 tables. But if you have a moment, look at the pic of my database. On the middle right is a tab called history, so you can see it in context. That is where I want my list, with dates and names for the test date and person who did the test.

I can appreciate this is a simple list but it's part of a slighlty more sophisticated database. I have borrowed concepts and adapted from a starter solution (I am learning...).

Does this alter your response and advice?

I really don't want a spreadsheet, I just used that term to describe the format I want this data in, in the particular place where I want to view it.

Regards

C.

• 3. Re: Creating a list of data as a record of tasks perfomed
              philmodjunk

That is where I want my list, with dates and names for the test date and person who did the test.

To put this inside a tab control makes using a portal to a related table your only practical option. You'll have to shift out of first gear. Wink

This looks like you have one record for each type of test and your list will document each time this test is performed. If you have this relationship:

Maintable::__pkMainTableID = TestingLog::_fkMainTableID

and you double click the relationship line linking these two and then click the check box for "allow creation of records via this relationship" on the TestingLog side of the relationship, you can then put a portal to TestingLog inside your tab control and you will be able to add new records to this log by entering data into the bottom blank row of this portal.

That's the "beginner's" set up. Once you have that working, there is a slightly more sophisticated approach where you can list the tests in descending order by date so that the most recent test is listed at the top and then you use a button to add a new record to the top of the portal so that you don't have to keep scrolling the portal to the end in order to add more records.

• 4. Re: Creating a list of data as a record of tasks perfomed
                ChristopherPayne

OK, thanks. I'll try this and see what i can achieve. I get the gist of it.

Many thanks PhilModJunk for your time.

Regards

C.