1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 10, 2010 4:24 PM by philmodjunk

Creating a multi-table data entry form

Desmodromic

Title

Creating a multi-table data entry form

I'm new to Filemaker from Access--I like it a lot, but I'm having a little trouble adjusting. I need to create a form (view?)  that has unique customer info in the header portion and multiple record line item detail in the body. I'd like to be able to use this view to perform both data entry and on-the-fly lookups when required. I have created two tables and linked them through a primary and a foreign key.

The header portion of the view is just line item detail. The multi-record body portion of the view is made with a tab control (because I have a lot of data that needs to be collected). I have inserted portals into my tab control and inserted the necessary fields. It doesn't work. One thing I notice is that the tab control view doesn't seem to have the capability to scroll from record to record via a set of arrow buttons and a record counter.

I'm good with Access and I understand relational database concepts well; I'm just not sure how to accomplish this in Filemaker. I'm attaching an image of the (rough, unfinished) view layout. Can anyone assist?

Thanks in advance,

Desmo

filemaker_view.jpg