11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2013 8:59 AM by philmodjunk

Creating a multiple-page record

JamesCheyne

Title

Creating a multiple-page record

I use FileMaker Pro 11 for lesson plans for my school. Each record is 1 lesson plan. Administration accepts hard copies only.

Last year, this was easy. All of the information from 1 record fit on a standard letter-size (8.5"x11") page.

This year, there is too much required information to squeeze it all into 1 page.

The Problem:

The printer (letter size output only) prints only that portion of the page that fits in an 8.5x11" space.

I would like to create a layout that runs onto multiple pages. (None of the fields is expandable.) Is there a way to do this?

• 1. Re: Creating a multiple-page record
          philmodjunk

That should not be the case. If your layout is longer than the printable height of your printer for one page, FileMaker should automatically print out two pages. You may simply need to redesign your layout to be taller--perhaps with some fields set to "slide up", "resize enclosing part", to reduce back to one page when the extra page or pages are not needed.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1.           It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
          3.           Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
          5.           All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
          7.           Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
          9.           Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
          11.           Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
          13.           Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.
          • 2. Re: Creating a multiple-page record
            JamesCheyne

PhilModJunk:

Thanks for the quick response.

It's good to know it should not be happening, but it is. I'm new to FileMaker, but fairly computer-literate otherwise. The tech person at the school has tried printing the same file from her laptop, and gets the same results. Different printers get the same results. I've tried creating a new layout with the same fields, and that's the same, too.

All of the fields are fixed sizes. I've not used any sliding objects because the pages need to be uniform despite how much information is in each field.

The body is set to 14.5" (by 8" wide). The printer always prints out everything that is below the 11" line, viz., page 2, and nothing from to top of the form.

My temporary solution is to print to PDF and then have the PDF print on 1 page, but the print is then scaled down too much to be a good solution.

I was hoping to learn of some (hidden to me) feature that adjusts how the printer is interpreting the page.

The database came from someone else, and I've modified it (substantially) since then. The extension is .fp7. Could it be an older database format that has the limitation I've described. I'd rather not build a new database, if that's avoidable, but if that would offer a solution, I would.

Thanks for the help.

• 3. Re: Creating a multiple-page record
              philmodjunk

Can you upload a screen shot of your layout captured while in layout mode?

What version of FileMaker are you using?

What I am describing has been true of FIleMaker since my earliest experience with the application (FIleMaker Pro 2.5).

• 4. Re: Creating a multiple-page record
                JamesCheyne

This screenshot is small. If you need something else, let me know. I'm on a MacBook Pro with limited screen real estate.

FileMaker Pro 11.

Mac OS X 10.8.5

• 5. Re: Creating a multiple-page record
                  philmodjunk

What options did you have selected in page set up at the time. Might you have a page size other than letter specified?

What's unusual is that there is no horizontal page break visible in your screen shot and there should be one showing there.

What options, if any have you selected on the printing tab in layout setup...?

• 6. Re: Creating a multiple-page record
                    JamesCheyne

Yes, the Print dialogue was screwy. (8.5x22 paper; where did that come from??) When correcting it to US Letter, the horizontal page break line appears, and it now prints the first page, but nothing after that.

The printing options in the layout setup dialogue are shown in the image. Nothing looks suspicious.

• 7. Re: Creating a multiple-page record
                      philmodjunk

What do you see in preview mode?

• 8. Re: Creating a multiple-page record
                        JamesCheyne

In preview mode (Preview within FileMaker Pro), only the first page shows. [image]

When I choose "Print," the PDF preview and the PDF file both also show the first page only.

• 9. Re: Creating a multiple-page record
                          philmodjunk

Preview mode can only show one page at a time. But the "book control" in the status tool bar and the slider that is with it that you can use to move to other records while in browse mode, enable you to change to other pages while in preview mode.

Can you click on that book control or drag the slider to see the other pages while in preview mode?

• 10. Re: Creating a multiple-page record
                            JamesCheyne

Yes!

Yes, the slider allows me to see (and print to PDF) 352 pages from 224 records. The resulting PDF file (4.6MB when printed from the preview window) is a continuous scroll of all 224 records with page breaks determined by the printing options in the layout setup, not by the body tab. When I correct these and place the body tab directly over the horizontal page break line in layout, the pages even up to 2 pages per record, or 448 pages total.

At this point, the pages are now printing in Browse view as they should. I do not know what changed, but it is now working.

The one thing that was odd in the preview was that it showed me only 1 page and the slider showed the total number of pages as "?" until I actually moved the slider. Then, after watching a spinning beach ball for a few seconds, the total number of pages (352) showed up. That is when the printing started acting as it should.

In any event, things are now working. Perhaps moving the slider in preview forced FileMaker to initialize some value it needed to print correctly. In any event, the correct behavior survives across relaunches of FileMaker and reboots of the Mac.

Thank you for the many posts to help me through this.

(Incidentally, I gave this file as a template to another teacher about a month ago. She has had the same problem I did. Tomorrow, I'll show her what I did today in the preview window and see if that solves the problem for her as well.)

• 11. Re: Creating a multiple-page record
                              philmodjunk

The one thing that was odd in the preview was that it showed me only 1 page and the slider showed the total number of pages as "?" until I actually moved the slider.

This is normal. FileMaker Preview doesn't actually compute the total number of pages until you preview the last page.