3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2011 6:54 PM by drmacintosh

Creating a New Layout

drmacintosh

Title

Creating a New Layout

I am using FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced 11.0v4 on a Macintosh.  I am going through O'Reilly's FileMaker Pro 11: The Missing Manual book.  I am in Part Two: Building Your First Database Chapter 3: Creating a Custom Database and Creating a New Layout which is towards the end of the chapter.  I have been at this several hours this afternoon/evening not getting the desired results.  What the issue is that I have created a database with layout named "Lease Agreement" per the lesson.  Now I am creating another layout named "Lease Agreement List" based upon the first layout named "Lease Agreement" without the Container Field named "Lease Agreement Document".  Here is the dilemma.  When using the Format Painter to apply the Header layout from the "Lease Agreement" layout onto the Header of the newly created "Lease Agreement List" layout, formatting does not apply.  If I on the other hand go in reverse order which is use the Format Painter on the Header from "Lease Agreement List" and apply it to the "Lease Agreement" layout Header the change is applied.  I have included two images as well as copy of database, of the respective layouts that can be downloaded from http://databasefiles.drmacintosh.net.  The Lease Management.fp7 database can also be downloaded there as well.  First is "Lease Agreement" with the Header correctly formatted & Second is "Lease Agreement List" with the Header not looking like it should which is the First image's Header.  I don't know if the steps from the section in O'Reilly's book mentioned is needed for reference.   The objective of the exercise is

Your database will be more polished if your layouts look alike. Whenever possible,

put some of the same elements in exactly the same place on each layout. That way,

people can use those familiar objects to get oriented as they switch from one layout

to another. The logo and layout title are perfect candidates for creating a sense of

orientation among your layouts.

Any ideas appreciated. 

• 1. Re: Creating a New Layout
          philmodjunk

I didn't down load your file, but did look at the screen shots. The formatting for the text with the red dotted fill pattern may well be the same on both layouts depending on what actual choices you made on the first layout. The format painter  should copy fill patterns, fill color, and text formatting such as justification and fonts. It won't re-position the text object to the center of the screen for you.

For that reason and others, I usually just copy and paste layout objects such as a header and/or a set of navigation buttons from one layout to another as that is usually quicker and produces exactly identical results on each layout.

(Also, if you use table view for your list layout instead of list view, you may need to go into layout set up and specify that the header be visible before you get the header you want to appear on your screen when in browse mode...)

• 2. Re: Creating a New Layout
            rjlevesque

Try this out, yell if you have any questions. I didn't put anything difficult in your solution, just a few things to sort of give you a head start. I know it always helps me to understand a solution better if I can take it apart. So have fun, take it apart, look through scripts section, check out the relationships on the tables.

http://db.tt/CDJprga

• 3. Re: Creating a New Layout
              drmacintosh

For a newbie here learning the ropes of FileMaker Pro and not vastly familiar with scripting how can I use this to my advantage.  I am going through each chapter in O'Reilly's FileMaker Pro 11: The Missing Manual book.  I had hoped that this is simple the creation of the header and body but something when creating did not transfer over.  Any other ideas, am I misunderstanding something, is there something that I need to to understand or what?