3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2015 10:30 AM by philmodjunk

Creating a new table that is a combo of two filtered tables

phcaputo@gmail.com

Title

Creating a new table that is a combo of two filtered tables

Forgive me, I don't think I have the terminology down yet..

What is the best practice when I want to create a table from "subsets" of other tables. For example, there are entries in table A that I filter out based on some criteria. I use the same criteria to find entries in table B. Now I want to create a table that consists of those filtered values.

The filter values from both A&B will have the same fields.

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Creating a new table that is a combo of two filtered tables
          philmodjunk

Are you trying to create an actual table such as that defined in Manage | Database | tables or just display this data in a table format on a layout?

Is this something you want the user to to do after selecting different filter values or a one time design change of your database?

What is the "big picture" result that you want here?

• 2. Re: Creating a new table that is a combo of two filtered tables
            phcaputo@gmail.com

The big picture is that I have two lists where the user can enter data. One list has fields A,B, C, D. The second list has only A, B. I then want to display info from each list in one list for the user. For example, show me all the entries where A=some value. 

I think I figured it out. I can use a match field to identify the second list (A, B) , and a second match field to define the category for display. Does that make sense?

I have absolutely no one to bounce ideas off of, or best practices, so any help is greatly appreciated!

• 3. Re: Creating a new table that is a combo of two filtered tables
              philmodjunk

Well "bouncing ideas off people" is one of the functions of a forum like this.

I really don't know if what you want to do is the right approach or not as it depends on what actual data you have in each table and what you want to do with this "list" once you have pulled it up on a screen on your computer.

What does one record in the first table represent? What does one record in the second table represent?

You might actually have data in two tables where you really only need one. Then again, you might really need two. I can't tell from the info provided thus far.