12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2011 6:52 PM by JohnMozzer

Creating a new Table using a template

Kat4

Title

Creating a new Table using a template

I'm trying to set up a database for a company having never done such a thing before. 

I like the starter solution templates and a few of them will be useful. I can't figure out, though how to use a template for anything other than a new database. I started my database with the contact management template, now want to add new tables using inventory template, purchase orders template, so I can relate them to each other, but they seem to require that I start a whole new database. 

(Thank you for the FMP email notifying me about this forum!) 

• 1. Re: Creating a new Table using a template
          Sorbsbuster

Hi Kat4,

Can I assume you like the Contact Management template, and you like the Inventory template, and you want to be able to relate them to each other?  There are two ways, both dead easy:

If you want to include the Inventory Table as a table within your Contact Management File, just:

- Open the Inventory File

- Choose File -> Manage Database (I've assumed you're using FM9)

- Choose the 'Tables' tab

- Click on any table you want (or use 'Shift&Click' to select more than one) and click the 'Copy' button, bottom right

- Open the  'Contact Management' file and do the same, except when you get to the 'Tables' tab, click on 'Paste' instead.

- Voila, your 'extra' tables will now be  part of your file.  Modify and relate as you see fit.

If you don't want to include the Inventory Table as a table within your Contact Management File, but want to manage it as a separate stand-alone file system, but linked to your Contact Management file, just:

- Open the Contact Management File

- Choose File -> Manage Database

- Choose the 'Relationships' tab

- In the bottom left choose the 'Add Table' button (left-most)

- Choose the source to be 'Add Filemaker source...' and direct the Open Dialogue box to find the Inventory Management file.

- You can then make whatever links you want between the two files (or sets of tables).

Hopefully my explanation is what you wanted, and clear enough.

Alan.

• 2. Re: Creating a new Table using a template
            Kat4

Thanks for that advice. Yes it is clear.

I really would appreciate your advice on which solution you recommend? I've been through lynda.com tutorials, and they talk about having multiple tables in one database. While they do discuss using data from other sources, I got the idea it isn't 'proper' to have a bunch of separate but related databases.

I wonder if the relationships can be made just as well if I don't use multiple tables in just one 'database'.

I started making up my own format, but realized quickly, that since it's all new to me, it could be VERY time consuming. That's why I thought I'd be better off using the templates given and adjusting them as required.  

I'm struggling a bit with all this 'new to me' terminology.

• 3. Re: Creating a new Table using a template
              Kat4

Whoops!

Should have said... Yes, I'm using FMP 9 

• 4. Re: Creating a new Table using a template
                Sorbsbuster

Don't sweat, Kat4, you couldn't have chosen a better database.

If you check the 'Tables-versus-Files' post earlier, you'll see that there is great debate about which is better.  But it's good debate, in that both sides argue that both ways work (which is an awful lot better, if you think about it, than both sides arguing that the other way doesn't work!

The advice in that particular post was to someone who already had (from earlier versions of FM) lots of separate files, and he wanted to know if it was worth joining them as tables into a single file.  The consensus was 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it, but if you're designing from scratch, stick 'em all in the one file'.  (I hope I have paraphrased that correctly).  However there are some occasions where one or the other is preferable, and I believe it was David Head (uLearnIT) who listed them.

Don't worry about the separate files 'not working' - they will.  If it was me, designing from scratch, I'd go with the 'all tables in one file' approach.

HTH,

Alan

• 5. Re: Creating a new Table using a template
                  Kat4

Thanks again!

I did read that thread too, just wasn't sure what the consensus was! 

I'm afraid I am "sweating it" as the more I learn/read, the more questions I come up with.

So, thanks again for that very definitive answer! 

• 6. Re: Creating a new Table using a template
                    Kat4

Just found a glich!

I'm trying to copy the Inventory template from the Tables menu in Manage database, and there is no Copy button. If I got to Edit, Copy is not an option unless I select all, which I can do since there's only the one table there, but then when I go to the Manage database and tables of the Contact management file, I run into the same problem, and this time I can't select all obviously, or I'd loose the contact management table.

Where have I gone wrong?

I'm on an iMAC, by the way. 

• 7. Re: Creating a new Table using a template
                      omarjt_1
                         I think that you need FM Pro Advanced in order to be able to copy things around as suggested. If you are working on FM Pro (not Advanced) you don´t have the copy oprtion.
                      • 8. Re: Creating a new Table using a template
                        Kat4

I don't have advanced! Darn.

Perhaps this is info I'll pass on to FMP. It seems to me that I should be able to use the templates for various tables... unless their design prevents them from working well with one another, but I'd find it easier to manipulate what is already there than to start completely fresh, I think. 

• 9. Re: Creating a new Table using a template
                          billjf

I'm no FMP guru, in fact i'm just learning, but there is a work around for this in Filemaker Pro 9. It's not as simple as copy and paste, but it works.

In the target database click File > Import Records > File...  Choose the file that contains the table you want to copy. The 'Import Field Mapping' box opens. Select the source table on the left. For the target on the right, select New Table. Click Import and you're done!

• 10. Re: Creating a new Table using a template
                            Kat4

Thanks billjf,

I did try that actually, but for some reason, my import didn't work properly. I got some of the information only, and none of the "pretty" formatting.

It's worth trying again, I'm sure, but now I'm on a role, starting from scratch, making my own set up.

Have you imported a template to put it into a table? 

• 11. Re: Creating a new Table using a template
                              Kat4
                                 I have discovered as I create my own database without templates, that I can paste portions of the templates onto my new layouts. That does help save some time.
                              • 12. Re: Creating a new Table using a template
                                JohnMozzer

I want to create a new table within a file using a Starter Solution template.  I see that I don't have the Copy button either.  (See Best Answer dated 10/29/08 by Sorbsbuster, and followup by Kat4 and omarjt, in this thread.)  This is very frustrating.

Has anyone come up with another workaround?