3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2009 8:49 AM by philmodjunk

Creating a Portal showing summarized result

Alex86

Title

Creating a Portal showing summarized result

Dear All,

I am using FileMaker Pro 10 for MAC and I am a super newbie to FileMaker. When I am designing my database I have came across the following problem. Could anyone kindly teach me how to achieve the result? 

There are 3 tables:

Program Table, contains:

ProNo (Program Number)

ProName (Program Name)

ProDetail (Detail about this program)

Invoice Table, contains:

ProNo (related to Program Table)

DistributionCenter (sales location for this invoice)

Design1Qty (order qty for design 1)

Design2Qty (order qty for design 2)

DC-Country Table, contains:

DistributionCenter (related to Destination Table)

Country (contain country name which the distribution centers belong to)

And the problem is, I have created a "MainForm" in Form View listing all the fields in Program Table. And I want to created a portal in this MainForm listing how many order qty for design 1 and design 2 for each Country. The format is like follow: 

Country ProNo Total Qty1    Total Qty2

What should I do to achieve this result?? Thanks alot!

• 1. Re: Creating a Portal showing summarized result
          philmodjunk

There seem to be some loose ends here in your design.

"DC-Country Table, contains:

DistributionCenter (related to Destination Table)"

But you don't describe any Destination table. You don't describe any relational link between this table and the other two you describe. If the following relationship exists:

Invoice :: DistributionCenter = DC-Country :: DistributionCenter

Then I wouldn't use a portal for this. I'd create a summary report based on Invoices, but add fields from the the other two tables to complete the report. You can use a Sub-summary part to condense the multiple rows down in to a single row for each country and delete the body part.

You define the sub-summary part as "when sorted by DC-Country::Country"

Place the following fields in this layout part:

DC-Country::Country Invoice:: ProNo Invoice::sTotal Qty1    Invoice::sTotal Qty2

sTotal Qty1 and sTotal Qty2 are summary fields defined in Invoices as Total of the respective Qty fields.

• 2. Re: Creating a Portal showing summarized result
            Alex86

Thanks alot for your reply.

Sorry for my typing mistake, DistributionCenter (related to Destination Table) <--what I mean is the relationship of "Invoice :: DistributionCenter = DC-Country :: DistributionCenter".

But creating a sub-summary part means I have to create another layout, choosing DC-Country as data source, is that correct?

But the result I hope to achieve is showing this summarize data together in the MainForm, which show data from ProgramTable. Or is there another way I can show a report inside another layout? 

• 3. Re: Creating a Portal showing summarized result
              philmodjunk

To repeat: "I'd create a summary report based on Invoices, but add fields from the the other two tables to complete the report. "

In this summary report, you can include fields from your Program Table to get the results you want. The relationship links will control which data from the related tables will be visible.