Do you mind if we do these steps manually, first, to make sure my understanding is correct?
First, create the total dollar amount first of all:
- Define a new field, SumAmountRecvd, and make it type 'Summary'. Set it to be the summary of AmountRecvd.
Now make your report have the correct part:
- In Layout Mode, click the 'Part...' button on the Status Bar (LHS), drag-and-drop it into the Footer area, and select 'Trailing Grand Summary'
- Clcik the 'Field...' button and drag-and-drop it into the new Grand Summary area. Set the field to be the new summary field, SumAmountRecvd.
(Strictly, you didn't need to create the new report part, as the summary field will display perfectly if you place it in the footer, but this is a more elegant way.)
Now find the correct records:
- Enter 'Find' mode, click into the Recvd Date field and type '1/10/2008...31/10/2008'. (No inverted commas. I've used UK format, but I assume you'll use US. The 3 dots tell FM to search for a range.)
- Click 'Find (Status Bar) or hit 'Enter'.
Now you've found the right records, we can sort them:
- Right-click (was DOS based, so using a PC?) on the field 'Recvd Date' and select 'Sort Ascending.
- Choose 'Records -> Sort...' (or 'Control-S') and in the left box find the field 'Recvd Date' and pop it over to the right box.
- Click 'Sort'.
If all of that works the way you want (you can format the summary field to be currency, no decimals, for instance) then we can script all of that perfectly to offer the user a data-entry box that already defaults to the date range for last month (say), allows them to change it or leave it, and does everything else automatically.
Hope this helps,