8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2009 1:18 PM by BMarot

Creating a Report (Filemaker Pro 10: Mac)

BMarot

Title

Creating a Report (Filemaker Pro 10: Mac)

I have no past experience using Filemaker, however, I have recently been hired to create a simple database contaning a number of fields (30+) pertaining to animals used in a research setting.  This will most likely be set up as a list view (similar to the appearance of a spreadsheet).  Due to the high number of fields, many of them will be off the screen.

I am wondering if there is any way to perform a search where only the fields that were searched will be displayed?  For example, someone may enter a search for: Contrast Agent, Respiratory Rate, Animal Type.  Is there a way to have the search results display just those three fields? 

I know it would be possible to create a new layout/report that just includes those fields, but that is very inefficient.

Thanks for the help!

Brad 

• 1. Re: Creating a Report (Filemaker Pro 10: Mac)
          philmodjunk

"I am wondering if there is any way to perform a search where only the fields that were searched will be displayed?  For example, someone may enter a search for: Contrast Agent, Respiratory Rate, Animal Type.  Is there a way to have the search results display just those three fields? "

Not exactly, but if you use a Table View layout, a user can use the Modify... button (top right corner, in the task bar) to select which fields will be visible each time they need to do this.

• 2. Re: Creating a Report (Filemaker Pro 10: Mac)
            BMarot
               Thanks for the quick reply!  I'll try your suggestion out once I've got the solution up and running.
            • 3. Re: Creating a Report (Filemaker Pro 10: Mac)
              TKnTexas
                 You can create a SEARCH layout with only the fields that will be searched on.  Then, you can have a layout that has those fields for the outcome.  You can also have a layout that has all of the fields.  Also of these can be displayed in the TableView mode as a spreadsheet would look.
              • 4. Re: Creating a Report (Filemaker Pro 10: Mac)
                comment_1

BMarot wrote:
                I am wondering if there is any way to perform a search where only the fields that were searched will be displayed?  For example, someone may enter a search for: Contrast Agent, Respiratory Rate, Animal Type.  Is there a way to have the search results display just those three fields?

There is a way to do this, but I am afraid it's too complex to explain without a demo file (which this forum doesn't allow). And if you are just starting with Filemaker, I doubt you would find even that helpful. Perhaps you can find some temporary compromise and come back to this issue later.

• 5. Re: Creating a Report (Filemaker Pro 10: Mac)
                  BMarot

To TKnTexas:

I don't exactly see how that is a solution to my problem. In that case, wouldn't that require me to make a new layout, with the specific fields I'm interested in, each time I wanted to do a specific search?

• 6. Re: Creating a Report (Filemaker Pro 10: Mac)
                    BMarot

To comment:

Well, it's nice to know that there is some way to solve the problem.  Perhaps you could give me a push toward that demo file somehow?  Are private messages allowed on this forum?

Even if it would likely be out of my range of understanding it's worth a shot. 

• 7. Re: Creating a Report (Filemaker Pro 10: Mac)
                      comment_1
                         I don't have an actual demo file ready, but I can give you a few hints:

1. You can get the names of the fields that were searched by doing Modify Last Find and looping through the layout fields. Any field that isn't empty, gets picked.

2. You can use calculation field/s to display the data from the selected fields, using the GetField() function.

Note:
                      The displayed information won't be editable (at least not directly). Also, the display is based on unstored calculation fields, so it can get slower with large found sets.

An interesting demo that is somewhat related to the current issue can be found here.

• 8. Re: Creating a Report (Filemaker Pro 10: Mac)
                        BMarot

Thanks!  I'll check it out.