1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 31, 2014 3:35 PM by philmodjunk

Creating a report and sort.

Christian

Title

Creating a report and sort.

Hi Everyone!  It's been while since my last post.

I am in the process of creating a "Scholarships" database, where the layout must reflect the attached layout.

Basically, this report needs to be able to sort by "Department" name.  So that we're not repeating this information for numerous students within the same college.

Information that would stay the same for multiple students is, again, Department Name, Contact person, and Contact Phone for each department.  A listing of students receiving scholarships within that dept would the be listed underneath the contact info.

Then, beneath that, would be a listing of scholarship recipients within another department.

I've gotten the report set up, and you can see the screen shot here: http://www.usm.edu/business/filemaker

Any help on how I can go about designing this so that I can generate a report, sorted by department, and instead of repeating that "contact info" section, just list it once per department, and list student recipients underneath.

Thank you!

Christian

Screenshot_2014-03-31_16.06.51.png

• 1. Re: Creating a report and sort.
          philmodjunk

You can do this with a Summary Report.

Assuming that the pair of rows that start with the labels "Fund No." and "cumulative GPA" make one record in your found set, you can add a sub summary layout part for the items listed in rows 1-8. Specify that the sub summary part be "sorted by Department".

Then you can perform a find to pull up the records you want for your report and sort them by Department. In order to group them by Department.

For more on Summary Reports, see this tutorial: Creating Filemaker Pro summary reports--Tutorial