1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 6, 2008 1:33 PM by TSGal

Creating a report through certain fields

wreese

Title

Creating a report through certain fields

I am a new user to Filemaker. I am trying to create a database for advertisers in our magazine. One of the things I am trying to do is create a report based off of what type of business our advertiser is.

What I am trying to do allow the advertiser to select up to 7 sub categories (dealing with Home Improvement) to select to describe their business. Sub categories like, Carpeting/Rugs or Cabinet Repair or Storage Solutions. Then these sub categories would filter into 13 main categories like Remodeling or Kitchen/Bath. The sub categories could filter into 1 main category or more, because a category like Cabinet Repair could fall under Remodeling AND Kitchen/Bath.

Then I could run a report for Remodeling and it pick up all the sub categories that this fall under.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Will

• 1. Re: Creating a report through certain fields
          TSGal

wreese:

Thank you for your post.

Creating a report is fairly simple to do.  First we need to get into Layout mode and create a new layout.

1. Pull down the View menu and select "Layout Mode..."

2. Pull down the Layouts menu and select "New Layout/Report...

Now, a new dialog box appears with several options.  Under "Select a layout type", select "Columnar list/report" and click Next.

In the next window, since you want to show categories and sub categories, select the second option "Report with grouped data".  Click Next.  If you want to include totals or sub-totals, select those options.  Click Next.

In the next window, include all the data you want to display for each record and move them to the right side under "Layout fields".  When finished, click Next.

On the next window, select the sub categories field you want to organize and move them to the right column under "Report categories".  Click Next.

In the next window, select the sort order (ascending/descending) you want displayed.  Click Next.

In the next window, at this time, change "Aqua screen" to "Default" or "Standard".  This will print or display without color.  Click Next.

In the next window, you may want to display header information.  If so, select the header information you want displayed.  Click Next.

In the next window, go ahead and create a script.  That means, at any time, you can pull down the Scripts menu, select this printing script, and FileMaker will do the rest.  Click Next.

You are finished.  You can now see the information in the layout or Preview mode.  Preview allows you to view the data it is going to be printed.

This should set you in the right direction.  At any time, you can return to Layout mode and modify the layout to add/move/removed fields and objects.

If you need clarification for any of the above steps, please let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.