1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 22, 2015 12:36 PM by philmodjunk

Creating a Report using Finds

BS_1

Title

Creating a Report using Finds & FoundCount

Hello all,

I have several scripts that perform a series of finds based on certain criteria. I'm mainly concerned about the FoundCount in each case. To create my Excel summary reports, I've been entering each FoundCount in manually. This is relatively quick, but it'd be better if I could get FM to print out a summary report showing the search criteria and the FoundCount for each Find performed by the script.

Summary: Script performs a series of Finds, Creates a report displaying the Find criteria and FoundCount for all Finds

Thanks in advance for your help!

-B

• 1. Re: Creating a Report using Finds & FoundCount
          philmodjunk

But you really don't spell out precisely what help it is that you need here. My first guess is that you do not need any such series of scripted finds at all, but keep in mind that this is only a guess.

There are two basic approaches that might produce the summary report that you want, but with, at most, only one find performed followed by a sort to group your records by some common value.

a) The first method is to create a summary report. You perform a single find to pull up the records you need to produce the data for your entire report, sort records to group them and use a summary field inside a Sub Summary Layout part to show a sub total for each group produced by the sort. Such a report can consist only of sub totals -- one row of data for each sub total, or it can list the individual records grouped to produce each sub total. See this thread for a tutorial on this type of report: Creating Filemaker Pro summary reports--Tutorial

b) If you have a parent table linked to a "detail" or "line Items" table, you can create a list view report based on the parent table and use either aggregate functions such as Sum, Average, Max, Min... or Summary fields defined in the child table that compute the same thing to show a subtotal for each record in the parent table with the relationship controlling what records are used to compute each aggregate value. Which records produce such sub totals can be further controlled using a one row filtered portal where a portal filter controls what records are used to compute the value or an ExecuteSQL calculation can be used to produce an aggregate value.