1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2009 3:57 AM by Shamrock

    Creating a rolodex

    Shamrock

      Title

      Creating a rolodex

      Post

      I am a very new user to Filemaker and wonder if someone can help me with a script for creating a rolodex please.  I have used one from an on-line tutorial but it nothing happens when I press the corresponding button in browse mode.  Any assistance would be gratefully appreciated as I seem to have come to a halt.

       

      Thanks 

        • 1. Re: Creating a rolodex
          mwc_1
            

          Very vague request there....

           

          My advice would be to start with one of the many pre-built templates that come with Filemaker.

          File Menu -->New Database.

          Choose the template for contact management.

          • 2. Re: Creating a rolodex
            Shamrock
              

            Sorry I should have been a bit more specific.  I have created a contact management database but I have over 700 names entered and rather than do a basic 'find' whenever I want to find a specific person, I created alphabetical buttons on the interface.  I inserted the following script:

             

             Set Error Capture (On)

            Enter Find Mode()

            Set Field (contact Management:: Name_Last(Get(Scriptparameter)))

            Perform Find ()

            If (not Get (FoundCount))

            Show custom dialog ('No associate found"; 'No record found")

            Show all records

            End if

             

            I then allocated the corresponding alphabetical letter to each button but when I enter browse, nothing happens.

             

            I hope this helps in clarifying my problem. 

            • 3. Re: Creating a rolodex
              ninja
                

              howdy Shamrock,

               

              try changing "If (not Get (FoundCount)) " to "If (Get(FoundCount) = 0)

               

              and don't forget to set error capture back off again at the end...

               

              How does that do?

               

              you might also want to put Pause Scripts in so that you can see your script work step by step and make sure it's doing what you think it is.  you can take the pauses out when it's all working smoothly.  Just a thought.

              • 4. Re: Creating a rolodex
                mwc_1
                  

                Shamrock wrote:

                Sorry I should have been a bit more specific.  I have created a contact management database but I have over 700 names entered and rather than do a basic 'find' whenever I want to find a specific person, I created alphabetical buttons on the interface.  I inserted the following script:

                 

                 Set Error Capture (On)

                Enter Find Mode()

                Set Field (contact Management:: Name_Last(Get(Scriptparameter)))

                Perform Find ()

                If (not Get (FoundCount))

                Show custom dialog ('No associate found"; 'No record found")

                Show all records

                End if

                 

                I then allocated the corresponding alphabetical letter to each button but when I enter browse, nothing happens.

                 

                I hope this helps in clarifying my problem. 


                 

                If [Get(Foundcount)=0]


                • 5. Re: Creating a rolodex
                  Shamrock
                     Still doesn't work
                  • 6. Re: Creating a rolodex
                    Shamrock
                       If I could figure out how to attach a screen capture, I would do so that you could see what I have produced and possibly spot the problem
                    • 7. Re: Creating a rolodex
                      mwc_1
                        

                      You are placing these buttons on a list view of the layout....yes?

                       If not you, will need to have the script point to that layout.

                      • 8. Re: Creating a rolodex
                        raybaudi
                          

                        Shamrock wrote:

                         

                        Set Field (contact Management:: Name_Last(Get(Scriptparameter)))


                        Hi Shamrock

                         

                        I think that this step contains an error... Try:

                         

                        Set Field [ contact Management:: Name_Last ; Get(Scriptparameter) ]


                        • 9. Re: Creating a rolodex
                          raybaudi
                            

                          Ninja wrote:

                           

                          try changing "If (not Get (FoundCount)) " to "If (Get(FoundCount) = 0)

                           

                          and don't forget to set error capture back off again at the end...

                           


                          Hi Ninja

                           

                          just curious, why to both ?


                          • 10. Re: Creating a rolodex
                            Shamrock
                               Thanks Danielle but when I specify the calculation, Filemaker automatically enters the script that way.
                            • 11. Re: Creating a rolodex
                              Shamrock
                                 I don't really want it in a list view, I would like to the button to take me to the first entry beginning with the selected letter and then I could scroll through and find the appropriate one.
                              • 12. Re: Creating a rolodex
                                mwc_1
                                  

                                Shamrock wrote:
                                Thanks Danielle but when I specify the calculation, Filemaker automatically enters the script that way.

                                Really?

                                When I tried, I got exactely the same syntax that Daniele posted...


                                • 13. Re: Creating a rolodex
                                  raybaudi
                                    

                                  Shamrock wrote:
                                  Thanks Danielle but when I specify the calculation, Filemaker automatically enters the script that way.

                                   

                                  This is why the script do not work...

                                   

                                  You are entering the ScriptParameter ( error ) into the repeating of the field, but you have to enter it into the CALCULATION


                                  • 14. Re: Creating a rolodex
                                    Shamrock
                                      

                                    Honestly!  I do the following:

                                     

                                    IN the Script menu

                                     

                                    Set Field, then specify and select name_last.  Then under 'Repetition' I select the Get Functions and Get  (Scriptparameter)

                                     

                                    When I 'OK' the specify field screen, FM inserts the following in the script:

                                     

                                    Set Field (Contact Management::Name_Last[Get (ScriptParameter)]] 

                                    1 2 Previous Next