4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2012 3:33 PM by JCPython

Creating a runtime on windows PC for use on MAC

JCPython

Title

Creating a runtime on windows PC for use on MAC

I read that it is possible to have a database in filemaker work on both windows and mac, i know for windows i need to create a runtime with extension .EXE, but when wanting to make it compatible with apple mac as well what would i do when creating the runtime?

Thanks guys!

• 1. Re: Creating a runtime on windows PC for use on MAC
          philmodjunk

You would create the runtime package on a mac system that has Filemaker Advanced installed.

The process of creating a run time uses the local, installed application file to create a "crippled" copy of that file to serve as the application file that opens and "runs" the database file.

The same database file from a windows runtime system can be used with a mac runtime system if the same file extension and "binding code" is specified when each runtime system is created on the two systems.

• 2. Re: Creating a runtime on windows PC for use on MAC
            JCPython

ok, so i need to have a mac in order to do this, that wont happen for a long time seing as they are crazy expensive, but thanks ill make record of this for future refrence on what to do when i get the mac.

• 3. Re: Creating a runtime on windows PC for use on MAC
              philmodjunk

You don't have to buy a mac, just borrow one for an hour or so. You can install advanced, copy over your database file, bind the files and then uninstall.

You do, however, need to test your solution on a mac before distrubiting a mac solution created on a PC. While the file will open and probably work, there are a few platform specific differences that can affect how a solution created on one system works when it is opened and operated on the other. Fortunately for you, the most significant difference--how much room is required to display data of a particular font and size--shouldn't be a major issue. Windows systems require a little bit more space both vertically and horizontally to display the same text--this can create undesirably clipped and/or wrapped text when you design the layout on a Mac then open the file on Windows. Since the reverse goes from needing more room to needing less room, the layouts are usually OK when designed in Windows and opened on the mac.

• 4. Re: Creating a runtime on windows PC for use on MAC
                JCPython

I would borrow one, but i really dont know anyone with one, would love to buy one but cant affoard, but i may just buy a cheap used one for this purpose.