4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2013 8:38 AM by markgordie

creating a schedule or time table

markgordie

Title

creating a schedule or time table

Good Morning,

I am trying to create a time table (or schedule).  What I have is a training course I am putting together with say for example 15 courses or modules that are required to complete in a period of one week.  The day is 8 hours long with a lunch and 2 breaks during that eight hours and the course is Monday to Friday.  I have used Word with a table and manually insert the information but I would like to automate that somehow using Filemaker.

I have a table with the courses already populated and a [Duration] field with the number of hours inputed for the length of each course.

So is there a script, calculation, or something that I can do to create a time table based on this information?

I have searched the internet with no luck.

Thanks again for your help and time.

• 1. Re: creating a schedule or time table
          philmodjunk

And what would the completed schedule look like?

• 2. Re: creating a schedule or time table
            markgordie

Here is a copy the most recent one I have done.  It was completed using a table MS Word.

• 3. Re: creating a schedule or time table
              philmodjunk

What you show looks like something that you can set up with 5 portals, one for each day of the week. The portals would show data from a related table where one record represents one block of time on a specific date or day of the week.

One possible set of relationships for that:

Weeks------<TimeBlocks>-------Courses

Weeks::FirstDayOfWeek = TimeBlocks::FirstDayOfWeek
                   Courses::__pkCourseID = TimeBlocks::_fkCourseID

The portals can include a portal filter that filters for a specific day of the week.

But you'll need to input more data than:

I have a table with the courses already populated and a [Duration] field with the number of hours inputed for the length of each course.

You'll need to set up a method for assigning a specific section of your schedule to a specific course. There are multiple methods for doing that. One approach would be to format the _fkCourseID field in the portal for selecting the course for that TImeBlock record.

While not set up exactly the same way, you may see some ideas that you can use in this Calendar demo file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e8d03xvwe8vtz85/Calendar.fp7

• 4. Re: creating a schedule or time table
                markgordie

Okay Phil, I have some work ahead of me but thank you so much again.  I will play around with it.