3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2013 9:30 AM by philmodjunk

Creating a scroll down list of contacts based on type

MvpPosch

Title

Creating a scroll down list of contacts based on type

Hey, 

I am fairly new to file maker. I have created a contact database that has profiles for each contact and that specifies the type of the contact. I then have added seperate layouts for each contact type to show different information depending on type. What I am looking for is a way to add a field to each layout that lets me scroll through and select a contact based on their full name. When I then select the full name that contacts profile shows up. I also am looking for the same thing without the conditional value of type. (See image, c_full name)

thanks in advance for your help.

image.jpg

• 1. Re: Creating a scroll down list of contacts based on type
          philmodjunk

If you press Print Scrn on your keyboard, you get a screen shot of your system that you can paste into WIndows Paint and then you can save the file as png and use the controls below Post A Answer to upload that image as part of your post. Alt-Prt Scrn captures an image of whatever window currently has the focus on your system.

A drop down list of all contacts or all contacts for a selected type is possible. If you want to limit the contacts to a specific type, this becomes a conditional value list. I've includes some links on the subject below. There are two options for setting such up, what you describe can be best handled with a relationship.

And you can also use a portal to list your contacts with a relationship or portal filter that limits the contacts listed to a specific contact type. In this second approach, you'd use button setup to turn your full name field into a button that performs a script that enters data from the selected portal record into a field or fields of the current record on your layout.

A possible script for that could be as simple as a single set field step:

Set FIeld [LayoutTableOccurrence::_fkContactID ; PortalTableOccurrence::__pkContactID ]

Where the __pk field is the serial number field set up to uniquely identify each contact and the _fk field is the number field that links your layout's table occurrence to the portal's Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences?.

Conditional Value List Links:

There's a lot of overlap between the first two links so you can read one and skim the other. The demo file gives you several examples of different conditional value lists so you can examine them to see how they are set up. If you are using FileMaker 12, you can open this demo file from your File menu to get a converted copy of the demo file that you can examine in FileMaker 12.

The last link discusses how to set up a chain of conditional value lists where the value selected in each conditional value list controls the values listed in the next value list.

Forum Tutorial: Custom Value List?

Knowledgebase article: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5833/kw/conditional%20value%20list

Demo File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6qf0z9fnem3uxd/ConditionalValueListDemo.fp7

Hierarchical Conditional Value lists: Conditional Value List Question

Feel free to post follow up questions here if those links aren't enough to get your value lists working correctly.

• 2. Re: Creating a scroll down list of contacts based on type
            MvpPosch

Thanks for your reply. However, I am not looking for a drop down, but rather a list of all names that both, is scorollable (and not drop down, since I have over 5000 contact entries) and searchable at the same time. Is it possible to do that without drop down?

• 3. Re: Creating a scroll down list of contacts based on type
              philmodjunk

To repeat:

And you can also use a portal to list your contacts with a relationship or portal filter that limits the contacts listed to a specific contact type. In this second approach, you'd use button setup to turn your full name field into a button that performs a script that enters data from the selected portal record into a field or fields of the current record on your layout.

This script would either perform a field or set a global field used as a match field in a relationship so that Go To To Related Records pulls up the record on a "detail" layout.

A similar method works from a list view layout instead of a portal, but then you need to set up a script to perform a find so that only records of a particular type or listed.