1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 17, 2013 9:11 AM by philmodjunk

creating a search field that searches all fields

malibux14x

Title

creating a search field that searches all fields

hello, i am using FMP 12A and utilizing it for a PO database.  I used to use repeating fields and searching was pretty easy that way but exporting sucked.

I updated it now to have 20 individual fields that dont repeat.  i would like to create a search field that searches the entire page (or a select number of fields) for certain key words.

ex: i have 100 POs that have 10-20 items ordered on each.  I would like to see whom ordered the "Bailey" without having to hit find and put "bailey" into each of the 20 fields.  I hope this makes sense and it is prob an easy fix but i cant figure it out

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

• 1. Re: creating a search field that searches all fields
          philmodjunk

I updated it now to have 20 individual fields that dont repeat.  i would like to create a search field that searches the entire page (or a select number of fields) for certain key words.

Instead of 20 individual fields, add a related table with 20 related records and you can search in a portal to these 20 records with the same results as searching in your repeated field. This solves your immediate issue and is also a better database design as well.

If you were to keep the 20 individual fields, you can use the quick find tool to search for data that might be entered into any one of the individual fields.