7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2014 3:47 AM by FabianFuentes

Creating a table of fields in a new layout.

FabianFuentes

Title

Creating a table of fields in a new layout.

Hi, 

First of all, this is not a question about creating a database table but rather just inserting a table in a layout. In other words, I would like to create a grid of fields similar to what you would get in a a spreadsheet. All the fields would be aligned right next to each other and I would then link each of the fields to a field from my database.

At the moment, the only way I can seem to create this is to create individual fields, align them all together, group them into a row or column and then copy/paste. Then I have to realign all the columns/rows of individual fields and if I want to resize the fields all the alignments get screwed up and I have to redo this again.

I simply want to create a table like you would in say Word/Pages that would allow me to add rows/columns and would be able to resized without screwing up alignment.

Im guessing I am missing something dead obvious but I just cant figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers 

• 1. Re: Creating a table of fields in a new layout.
          RickWhitelaw

Perhaps View as Table? No fudging necessary.

• 2. Re: Creating a table of fields in a new layout.
            FabianFuentes

Not really what I was after. In table view the fields go across the top with each record entry below. 

I simply want to create a layout that shows a single record. The field names need to go down vertically on the left hand side with the field data shown to the right. Specifically, the layout is to show a summary of operational results. Perhaps easiest way to think of it is a summary Income statement or balance sheet where you have the field names to the left and then the field data to the right. 

I also want to include other elements on my layout that wont be within this table design (another reason why the table layout wont work). 

For e.g. Imagine inserting a table into microsoft word without the table feature. The only option you had was to draw a single text box. If you wanted a table you would have to join the individual text boxes. This is the position I find myself in. The only way I have been able to replicate a table is by joining individual fields and I was wondering if there was a quicker way. Perhaps there isn't?

Cheers

• 3. Re: Creating a table of fields in a new layout.
              FabianFuentes

Not really what I was after. In table view the fields go across the top with each record entry below. 

I simply want to create a layout that shows a single record. The field names need to go down vertically on the left hand side with the field data shown to the right. Specifically, the layout is to show a summary of operational results. Perhaps easiest way to think of it is a summary Income statement or balance sheet where you have the field names to the left and then the field data to the right. 

I also want to include other elements on my layout that wont be within this table design (another reason why the table layout wont work). 

For e.g. Imagine inserting a table into microsoft word without the table feature. The only option you had was to draw a single text box. If you wanted a table you would have to join the individual text boxes. This is the position I find myself in. The only way I have been able to replicate a table is by joining individual fields and I was wondering if there was a quicker way. Perhaps there isn't?

Cheers

• 4. Re: Creating a table of fields in a new layout.
                Markus Schneider

in layout mode, create a new layout, select all fields (or select the desired ones) and FileMaker will create that layout for You. If You are using FileMaker 13, You can use the 'fields' palette to select multiple fields and choose options fir placement (shift-click to sekect multiple fields)

• 5. Re: Creating a table of fields in a new layout.
                  FabianFuentes

Thanks Markus, 

Dragging the fields from the field picker is what I currently do. Its not bad but the fields are placed with gaps in between. I then have to manually push them all together (horizontally and vertically) to form a table. Anyway that's no big a deal but its a bit of a pain if my fields aren't in the right order in the field pallette. I then have to either re-order them in the pallette before moving across or move them across individually and then align them all together in the layout which is tedious. 

I was thinking if you were able to insert a table and then click on each of the cells to specify a field that would be a whole lot easier. A table tool would let you select a row or column and apply table format designs (i.e. alternating row colours etc). At the moment, if I create a 10x10 table and want alternating row colours I have to select each row of fields in the table and specify the row colour. Also, with a table you wouldn't necessarily need to link each cell to a field and you could keep cells blank. At the moment, to create a table each element of the table has to be a field from the database

Im just new to FM so not sure if what I am saying is completely right (I hope not) but just my initial observations. I think a table tool would be a really useful addition. 

• 6. Re: Creating a table of fields in a new layout.
                    RickWhitelaw

Would a portal suit your needs? You would still need to size the fields.

• 7. Re: Creating a table of fields in a new layout.
                      FabianFuentes

Thought about that but thought Portals were really about showing related data from a different table on a single layout. All the data that I want to show on my layout is contained within the same table. 

Even if  I was, the portal can not be easily customised and I'd be better just creating the table manually as Im doing now. 

Thanks for the suggestion though.