5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2014 9:30 AM by FilmUser

creating a textfile from the database

FabianZentner

Title

creating a textfile from the database

Hey guys,

I have a database which is about archaeology and excavations. So there are many of finds or discoveries which have a lot of attributs for example type, weight, colour etc. My aim is now to importe all these information in a text form? So only the fields which are filled out with informations. The ones where is no information written, should be ignored. Is this anyhow possible in Filemaker Pro 13? If yes, could somebody help me?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Greetz,

FabianZ

• 1. Re: creating a textfile from the database
          SteveMartino

A little hard to understand what your asking. 

Are you saying, you have a text file with all this information that you want to put (import) into FileMaker?  If so, this can be scripted to import the data, parse out the attributes for each record, and put them (update) into the proper records.

Or are you saying you have this information in filemaker and you want to show it, or export it as a report.  If so, this can easily be done with a simple report.  A lot will depend on how your database is set up,

• 2. Re: creating a textfile from the database
            FabianZentner

the second!

I have a huge database and I need to take out some specific Information and put them in one text.file for example.

I have actually no idea about Filemaker, so I don't know what to do first.

I have for example a dataset which is called "ceramic". Inside of that I have like "type", "size", "id", "date of finding", and so on. I have also glas, metals, coins, lamps as spefific datasets which are similar.

I would like to take now all ceramic finding and export them into a textfile with only the information which are filled out in the fields. Empty fields should be ignored.

Thanks a lot!

• 3. Re: creating a textfile from the database
              SteveMartino

I have actually no idea about Filemaker, so I don't know what to do first.

Well that could be a problem.  Somebody knows something about FileMaker or you wouldnt have a database, right?

It's hard for me to give generic advice without know how your database is set up.  You're best bet is to go into FileMaker Help and look up how to do Reports.  This is a simple report.  You may even try to create a new layout, 'Report' and let the Layout Assistant walk you through the steps to get you close.

You may want to also look at some of the Starter Solutions, specifically the Invoice Starter Solution to see how they set up reports.

After you create the report, you can export it as a text file, PDF, Excel Spreadsheet.  You can email it, or print it.

• 4. Re: creating a textfile from the database
                philmodjunk

It would help to explain why you want to export your "report" as a text file rather than print it or save it as PDF from FileMaker.

• 5. Re: creating a textfile from the database
                  FilmUser

Or export in Excel as a spread sheet, commonly done in my world, for sharing data with non FMP folks. Plus it is re-usable in that form - if done with this in mind, changes can be made (by someone not having FMP) and re-import the changes later, or import into other systems.