1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 30, 2013 6:31 AM by philmodjunk

Creating a user activity log

DylanHaymans

Title

Creating a user activity log

Fairly novice designer here.  I am having trouble determining the proper scripting and calculations needed to log user activity.  I want to be able to see what each user of the database has created or edited so that it can then be displayed in a report.  I currently have some of this running as a script trigger once a record has been committed.  The record is committed in the data entry table, a multi-lined script then runs with "Set Field" and various "Get" functions to be auto-entered into a separate "log" table. The main fields I want include timestamp, account name and active field name "Get" functions.  The problem is that it returns the active field name as one from the log table, not the data entry table.  Any suggestions on how to specify this?  They are related tables.

• 1. Re: Creating a user activity log
          philmodjunk

Hopefully you already know that you can add fields that auto-enter the account name, date, time or time stamp each time a user edits a record--thus a record of who last edited the record can be automatically saved with the record without any scripting.

The method you describe can be used to track all people that edited the record and what changes were made by each user.

It should work, but we'd need to see your script(s) to know why it isn't working for you.

To post a script to the forum:

1.           You can upload a screen shot of your script by using the Upload an Image controls located just below Post A Answer.
          3.           You can print a script to a PDF, open the PDF and then select and copy the script as text from the opened PDF to your clipboard for pasting here. (with this approach, you can get multiple script steps on the same line, please edit the pasted text by inserting some returns to separate those steps.)
          5.           If You have FileMaker Advanced, you can generate a database design report and copy the script as text from there.
          7.           If you paste a text form of the script, you can use the Script Pretty box in the Known Bugs List database to paste a version that is single spaced and indented for a more professional and easier to read format.