4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2009 4:07 PM by MJWebster

Creating a Year of Birth

MJWebster

Title

Creating a Year of Birth

Hello, 

Just wondering if the following is possible?

I have a field in my database for the age of someone (AGE). I also have a field for Date of Enrolment (DATE ENROLLED). 

The idea here is to enter the age of someone ie 40, and then enter the date enrolled, 22 May 1902, what I wanted then was a field called Approx Year of Birth, in this field it would take 40 from 1902 = 1862... however how can I do this when the field (Date Enrolled) has the format that I set up as Day, Month and Year?

Hope this makes some sense...

Running Filemaker 10 on Apple Mac (Snow)

Thanks for any help..

Regards, Malcolm  

• 1. Re: Creating a Year of Birth
          comment_1

MJWebster wrote:

the field (Date Enrolled) has the format that I set up as Day, Month and Year?

What is the field's type? Is it a Date field formatted to display as d/mmm/yyyy - or is a Text field containing a string like "2 May 1902"?

• 2. Re: Creating a Year of Birth
            MJWebster

Hello, 

Thanks for your reply.. I set up the Date Enrolled field as a Date field..

Don't worry if it can't be done, but I thought that it would be helpful if I could calculate a number field (AGE) with a Date field (Date Enrolled)..

Regards, Malcolm 

• 3. Re: Creating a Year of Birth
              comment_1

MJWebster wrote:
              Don't worry if it can't be done, but I thought that it would be helpful if I could calculate a number field (AGE) with a Date field (Date Enrolled)..

Of course it can be done - in fact, it's very easy to do: make YearOfBirth a calculation field (result is Number) =

Year ( DATE ENROLLED ) - AGE

This assumes you have valid dates in the  DATE ENROLLED field. If by chance you have imported text data into a date field, then you'll need to take care of that first.

BTW, you could reduce the average error by making the calculation =

Year ( DATE ENROLLED ) - AGE - ( Month ( DATE ENROLLED ) < 7 )

• 4. Re: Creating a Year of Birth
                MJWebster

Hello, 

Many thanks indeed for your help with this..

I have much to learn..

Regards, Malcolm