5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2014 12:06 PM by mrb13676

Creating an anesthesia record with Filemaker

dsimonson

Title

Creating an anesthesia record with Filemaker

An anesthesia record consists of a number of clinical measurements (blood pressure, pulse, respirations, etc.) recorded over time on a graph.  There are a number of ways to do it without a graph, but clinicians like a graph.  I am uploading a screen shot of a Word document that I use to record a cataract anesthetic.

Any ideas on how you would display observations (I am thinking of a table with each record containing an anesthetic ID, timestamp,bp field, pulse field, respiration field, etc.) on a graph background like this?  Has it been done before?  I am just starting to look at this, don't want to re-invent the wheel!

Thanks,

Dan

--
      Dan Simonson, CRNA, MHPA
      2607 S. Manito Blvd.
      Spokane, WA 99203

<dsimonson@mac.com>
      H. (509) 747-0819
      C. (509) 981-6274 

Cataract_Anesthesia_Record.jpg

• 1. Re: Creating an anesthesia record with Filemaker
          philmodjunk

It would be simpler to record the actual data value and have FileMaker display the data on a chart. But each point position on your graph might be set up as a button that you can click for logging information. That could be a fairly complex interface to design...

• 2. Re: Creating an anesthesia record with Filemaker
            dsimonson

The problem is that anesthetists love the graphic display, so I am seeking "skeuomorphism" - it would be easier to just have a table, of course.  

I think it would go like this - user taps (or clicks) a button, is prompted to enter an observation of BP, pulse, O2 sat, etc – e.g. 120/80, 72, 98 (or the data is obtained at appropriate intervals via a connection to the monitor).  This is then applied to the graph (and this is where the challenge is for me).  The data I just gave represents 4 data points - systolic BP, diastolic BP, pulse, saturation.  

1.  Would it be a separate graph for each data point, with the 4 graphs overlaid on each other (if that is even possible)?

2.  If you did each graph as a scatter plot, with no connecting lines, it seems to me you could use a different marker for each one - a "^" for diastolic, (I don't know what symbol would represent the opposite of that, to use for Systolic), a solid dot for pulse, an open dot for Saturation, etc.

3.  So - 4 (or more) graphs, each overlaid on the other, with only the data points showing through.  They could all have the same x - time, and the same y - 220 for the maximum, 0 as the minimum.  The bottom (or top) graph would have visible background lines, or all of them would be sitting on top of a background picture with the squares.  Can that be done?

Thanks for all your help!

• 3. Re: Creating an anesthesia record with Filemaker
              dsimonson

I just realized - as long as the x and y axes are the same for all of the observations, I could do this via some type of "stacked" chart, right?  I am going to try that while I am waiting for the wisdom....;>)

Dan

• 4. Re: Creating an anesthesia record with Filemaker
                dsimonson

I did it!  If you are interested, please take a look at the screenshot I am attaching.  So - I got the chart to work, given the data I put in the OBSERVATIONS table.  

However, I want the x-axis to use 5-minute increments like the record above.  How do I do that?

This is fun!

Dan

• 5. Re: Creating an anesthesia record with Filemaker
                  mrb13676

Hey Dan

I'm looking at a similar problem. I'd love to know how you did this. Are you entering data on the iPad?