6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2015 3:13 AM by pi-comm

Creating an auto backup

pi-comm

Title

Creating an auto backup

Hi

Is there a way to create an auto backup, that is saved to a dropbox account?

I want the whole DB to back up, and replace the previous backups.

(FMP file is currently hosted on a Mac) 

Thanks

• 1. Re: Creating an auto backup
          schamblee

I use the dropbox desktop application, when you log in to dropbox there is a dropdown arrow next to your user name, select Install.  After the application is install you will have a dropbox folder, then you would save your backup to a location in this folder.  You have a script to run save-a-copy to that folder.  This script could be used with InstallOnTimerScript Trigger to make automatic backup.  The problem with an automatic backup on a hosted database is that the user need to be logged out, so I would put the backup script on the quit button and check that it is the hosted computer.

• 2. Re: Creating an auto backup
            philmodjunk

I wouldn't replace the previous backups unless I am making and saving other backups. Sometimes you have to pick through mulitple backup copies to find the copy you need to fix a problem--which can be due to having a damaged file or data missing or changed due to a user error.

The hosting computer session can use save a copy as in a script to save a copy of each file even if other users are still logged on.

This thread discusses some of the issues involved, but from the perspective of backing up a single file every few minutes while it undergoes development. You'd need one such script in every file and with a Timer interval much larger than every 15 minutes:

Saving Sequential Back Ups During Development

But using FileMaker Server and it's backup tools is a far better way to make and manage back up copies of your database.

• 3. Re: Creating an auto backup
              schamblee

My point was that data may not be complete if a user is entering data while the backup is being made at the same time.  I prefer records not being changed when I make a backup, so I prefer to make backups when other are not in the database.   I guess I was not clear on my post.   Good point, on the multiply backups,  I don't overwrite my older backups and assume everyone else does it the same way.    

• 4. Re: Creating an auto backup
                philmodjunk

And you make an excellent point as well. Makes me a bit curious though. I suspect that any record commits from other users that are initiated at the same time as the "save a copy" event simply won't appear in the saved copy, but will in the open, hosted copy.

But I haven't tested this and could easily be wrong about this.

• 5. Re: Creating an auto backup
                  RickWhitelaw

I use a closer script that backs up (saves a copy) to a destination disk/folder. The reason I do this is to prevent Time Machine from backing up a live file. Then I set TM to exclude the live files but back up,the files saved to the other destination.

• 6. Re: Creating an auto backup
                    pi-comm

Thanks everyone, this is a great help yes