3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2013 1:45 PM by philmodjunk

Creating an email alert for a meeting from Filemaker?

SallyVandershaf

Title

Creating an email alert for a meeting from Filemaker?

Hi, using the meetings template, how do I set Filemaker to send a reminder about a meeting to an email or cell phone (text) a certain amount of time before the meeting? Thanks!

• 1. Re: Creating an email alert for a meeting from Filemaker?
          philmodjunk

That won't be a simple thing to do in FileMaker but it is possible. Are you up for creating some scripts to do this?

The InstallOnTimer script step can set up a "timer" that performs a script on regular intervals. If your meetings are all 1 hour or more in length and always scheduled on the hour, this timer can be set to run at 1 hour intervals. If that's not the case, the script may need to be set to run more frequently.

The script that the timer performs can perform a find on your schedule for all meeting records that fall in a given date and time interval. If any such records are found, it can pop them up in a custom dialog or a new window to both remind the user about the upcoming meeting or meetings.

• 2. Re: Creating an email alert for a meeting from Filemaker?
            SallyVandershaf

Thanks - I'd be willing to invest time in writing scripts if they allow the system to be simple going forward, such as being able to add a check box to all records that says "send reminder to [email] [X minutes/hours in advance], ideally with emails and the X minutes/hours being on a pull-down menu.

But we won't know the meetings in advance - this is for meeting potential clients, rather than setting meetings for employees that happen every week at the same time. So there would also need to be some way of inputting date and time of the meeting each time.

Maybe FileMaker isn't the best software for what I want to do? Do you know of a better contact management system that can have database and email/meeting schedule integration?

• 3. Re: Creating an email alert for a meeting from Filemaker?
              philmodjunk

But we won't know the meetings in advance - this is for meeting potential clients, rather than setting meetings for employees that happen every week at the same time. So there would also need to be some way of inputting date and time of the meeting each time.

That should not be an issue with the solution I am suggesting. The find can specify any number of different criteria or just all records with a date and time falling in a specified interval.

Here are some examples of some scripted finds that may help show some of the capabilities that are possible: Scripted Find Examples