3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2012 10:18 AM by philmodjunk

Creating Avery 8160 Layout

ProfV

Title

Creating Avery 8160 Layout

Hello all.

I've been trying to adjust the layout for the Avery 5160 labels that is built in to the event management database.  My company is using Avery 8160 labels and I cannot see where I can adjust the layout to account for 30 labels to a page instead of 21.  Is there a layout with the correct margins for the 8160 layout already created?  How do I get that layout into the Event Management database?   Your assistance is most appreciated.  We have about a 1,000 labels to print and it is driving me crazy in fixing this.

ProfV

• 1. Re: Creating Avery 8160 Layout
          philmodjunk

Examine the current layout while in layout mode to make note of what fields in what order are used for each label so that you can reproduce this on a new layout. Then create a new layout, scroll the list of layout types down to select the Labels option and select the Avery 8160 format for your new layout. You'll then be able to select the same fields listed on the first layout for inclusion in your new labels layout.

The last step will be to update any scripts and buttons in your solution that refer to the original layout to instead refer to your new layout.

• 2. Re: Creating Avery 8160 Layout
            ProfV

Hi.  Thank you very much.  It worked.  I don't know how to update scripts and buttons as that is my greatest weakness.  Do you have any tips on how to do that? 

Very grateful,

ProfV

• 3. Re: Creating Avery 8160 Layout
              philmodjunk

If you have FileMaker Advanced, you can generate a database design report and then do a text search of the report while it is open in your browser for each place in the report where the original layout is named. This would allow you to find each place where you need to make the needed changes.

If you do not have Advanced, you'll have to be a bit of a detective and note each user action that brings up the old labels layout for printing. Typically this will be a button click, but there could be a script in the scripts menu that the user can select or (less likely for printing labels) modifying a field might trip a script trigger that performs the script.

If it's a script in the scripts menu, you can open manage | Scripts, find the script and double click it to open it for editing. If it's a button, you can enter layout mode, and double click the button to bring up button setup. If you see a single instruction selected you can edit that instruction right there in this dialog box. If it uses perform script as is most likely, you can click specify to open the specify script dialog and then select "Edit" from the Gear menu to open the script in the same script editor that I mentioned earlier.

Here are the script steps you can look for that might need changing to refer to the new layout:

Go to Layout ---> most likely script step or single button setting to need changing. There'll be a drop down in the lower right corner of the script editor where you can select a different layout.

Go to Related Records--> also very possible. Double click it to open a dialog where you can select the new layout. The other options can be left unchanged.