3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2014 2:45 PM by JuliaOlsen

Creating calculation field based on gender (male or female)

danlee

Title

Creating calculation field based on gender (male or female)

I have a field, Gender.  I created a radio button set in my layout for that field, Male or Female.  I want to create a calculation field for an IF script.  So if the gender is a male it will calculate 3 certain fields and if it is not a male it will calculate 3 different fields.  Is there any way of doing this without removing the radio buttons and having to create another gender field?

• 1. Re: Creating calculation field based on gender (male or female)
          philmodjunk

The format of a field has no effect on how the field may be used in a calculation.

Case ( RadioButtonFIeld = "Male" ; put calculation for Male values here ;
                            RadioButtonField = "Female" ; put calculation for female values here )

• 2. Re: Creating calculation field based on gender (male or female)
            danlee

Awesome, that worked!  I was using the IF instead of Case function :)

• 3. Re: Creating calculation field based on gender (male or female)
              JuliaOlsen

I am having a similar problem and can't see what I am doing wrong.  When I try to calculate with either "case" or "if" I get the total amount as if I have not selected records though case or  if.  I am working with one table for this.  

I have Employee Salaries (A), Student Payments through Bursar's Office (B) , and Student Payments through Outreach Program (C) . These are in a table called Monthly Accounting.  I categorize each type of payment and list the amounts as negative numbers since they are going out.

So I want to know each month the total of A, the total of B and the total of C. I will need to sum each of these later into a report by fiscal year. 

I am able to select out the records and get subsummaries using portals.

I have the principle down, but not the process, apparently.

Thanks for any help