5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2014 8:52 AM by philmodjunk

Creating conditional Value Lists

badage

Title

Creating conditional Value Lists

Hi,

seriously need help!! .. hey guys i have been following this particular steps and it work perfectly fine for me. There is some changes which i want to made. For the step below, Eg, if you click lunch , the item that is on the lunch category will be appear. however you will still need to manually click the item ( the item is in a form of popup/drop-down list ) before you can proceed on.  (url that i follow: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5833)

For my case i want to press the lunch dropdown list and the item option will display the content inside instead of having another drop-down list on the item. ( i been testing and experiment it around and fails to do it )

Untitled.gif

• 1. Re: Creating conditional Value Lists
          philmodjunk

I can't follow what you mean by "The item option will display the content inside".

Do you mean that if the user selects Lunch from "Type", you want item to display both "Chicken" and "Po" in the item field as a list?

That is no longer a conditional value list, but it can be done if that's what you mean here.

• 2. Re: Creating conditional Value Lists
            badage

Hi,

if user selects lunch from ' type ' i want the item to display both 'chicken and 'pig' and not to select either of them.

thanks for the prompt reply!! appreciated!

• 3. Re: Creating conditional Value Lists
              philmodjunk

Since the method in that help article uses a relationship to implement the conditional value list. You should already have the needed relationship in place that you can use a portal to display both "chicken" and "pig" in rows in that portal. That would be the simplest, most flexible way to get what you want here.

In other cases, you may want to copy that data--either as a list in a single field or as rows in a portal.

Whether those options make sense depends on what you want to do with this list once you have it appearing on your layout.

• 4. Re: Creating conditional Value Lists
                badage

hi,

i have display the item as portal. i have some issue pertaining to this. i  want the word pig and curry as shown in the picture below to be ineditable. For the portal itself the only condition i can set is Under field --> menu --> item --> tick the box [ prohibit modification of value during data entry ] , and it prompt me a popup as shown in the picture. Is there anyway i can do it such that it only display the word pig and curry without user having the authority to change the content inside( basically just like a display only )

• 5. Re: Creating conditional Value Lists
                  philmodjunk

In layout mode, select the field(s). Then go to the Behavior section of the Inspector's Data tab and clear the check box for Browse mode access. The user will then not be able to enter the field to edit it when you are in browse mode.