1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2012 8:16 AM by JimMac

Creating Container Field for PDFs

Larryo

Title

Creating Container Field for PDFs

All,

Need help in creating a field to contain PDFs. Tutorial says use the container field, but can't get it to work. 

FM Pro 11 v2 for Mac

Larry

• 1. Re: Creating Container Field for PDFs
          philmodjunk

How doesn't it work for you?

I would guess that you need to enter layout mode, select the container field and then use the options at the very bottom of the inspector's data tab to select "optimize for interactive content" so that Insert PDF is possible for that instance of your container field.

• 2. Re: Creating Container Field for PDFs
            Larryo

Phil,

I don't have options at the bottom of the inspectors data.

When I drag a PDF to the container, it won't drop in...just disappears.

Larry

• 3. Re: Creating Container Field for PDFs
              philmodjunk

whoops, those are FileMaker 12 options. Didn't see the FMP 11.

I don't recommend using drag and drop with FileMaker 11 containers. It doesn't work with any file on Macs as far as I know and it does the equivalent of Insert Object on Windows--something not supported in FMP 12 and inserted objects cannot be exported from the field and this creates issues if you ever have to export your data into a new possibly updated copy of the file.

The only drag and drop that works and does not risk future problems is to drag and drop from one container to another.

Use the Insert File (windows) or Insert Picture (Mac) menu options to insert your PDF file. Either that or just put the file path to the file into a text field and use it with a Web Viewer to open and view the PDF inside the web viewer.

• 4. Re: Creating Container Field for PDFs
                Larryo

Phil,

Thx, That works, but not well.

It only loads one page, and will not load multiple pages or many PDFs. 

I'm looking for a solution where I can hold the PDFs in a file. Typically, they are customer products and price lists... with several pages.

• 5. Re: Creating Container Field for PDFs
                  Larryo

Phil,

Also, how does one copy the path to a file? Never did that on Mac.

• 6. Re: Creating Container Field for PDFs
                    philmodjunk

The inability to see more than the first page of the PDF (can't see ANY page on windows) is why FileMaker 12 added the "interactive" optimization and a new Insert PDF menu option. This allows you to view the complete contents of a PDF in the container field and on both platforms.

If you insert the PDF into a container field using Insert file with the store a reference option selected, Get value ( ContainerField ; 2 ) will return the file path to the file. I think you'll need to do a bit of editing on that path to make it work as the URL for the web viewer but it can be gotten to work.

Your other option is to use the container field to open the PDF in a PDF reader. If a file is inserted with Insert File | Store a reference, double clicking it will open it. If inserted with other options, export field contents can open a copy of the PDF file.

• 7. Re: Creating Container Field for PDFs
                      JimMac

Using FMP 11 on a Mac:

In Browse Mode, right click on Container field, select Insert Quicktime, select your multipage PDF.

When viewing the container, click on field and a Quicktime movie player control should appear.  Then use Quicktime movie controls to page throught the multipage PDF document.

Jim...

• 8. Re: Creating Container Field for PDFs
                        Larryo

All, I'm not getting there....

Phil, 

"export field contents" only puts page one in the container, no link, and clicking of the page gets nothing.

Jim,

Quicktime does not load, it's grayed out.

However, thanks for the help.... I'm not giving up.

• 9. Re: Creating Container Field for PDFs
                          JimMac

I just checked my multipage PDF container fields on both FM11v4 MacOS snow leopard and lion.  My Insert Quicktime is Bold.

I checked my Inspector Data Tab for Field entry: allow in browse and find mode.

I checked Container field validation: Allow user to override during data entry

I did a Spotlight search for Quicktime and found Quicktime installed my computer.

From FMP11 help

•
                          Insert menu > QuickTime supports all media file types supported by QuickTime 7.5, including movie, sound, and graphics files. The Minimum installation of QuickTime 7.5 (often the default installation for some new computers) will not provide full QuickTime functionality to FileMaker Pro. Use the Recommended installation, or add the QuickTime Still Image component using a custom install.

Mine works as I said above:

Jim....

• 10. Re: Creating Container Field for PDFs
                            philmodjunk

"export field contents" only puts page one in the container, no link, and clicking of the page gets nothing.

Export field contents exports the entire contents of a container field to a specified location. An option in the dialog that appears will, if selected, cause the file to automatically open with the default application specified for that file type by your operating system. It does not, in any way, alter the contents of the container field.

Jim's method, by the way, looks like a much better option -- at least for Mac systems.

• 11. Re: Creating Container Field for PDFs
                              JimMac

I am puzzled for sure, Larryo.

Last thoughts:

1) My Quicktime is version 10 on Leopard.  You might do a Software Update for Mac OS on you computer.

2) FMP security on your file should allow you to read and write.

3) By selecting the FMP11 file in MacOS finder, do a Get Info... command I and check the permissions for that file to make sure it is read and write.  There has been a FMP bug on that.  It can be fixed using Mac Disk Utilities.... Repair Permissions  found in the Utilities folder.

4) I programmed my files using FMP 8 advanced not normal FMP8 but i find no special FMP advanced privileges on that.

FMP 12 as in Phil's whoopppss.. now inserts the PDF and FMP12 put on Quicktime mimic controls to page through the mulit pages.

Crossing my fingers for you....

Jim...

• 12. Re: Creating Container Field for PDFs
                                Larryo

<<<

I just checked my multipage PDF container fields on both FM11v4 MacOS snow leopard and lion.  My Insert Quicktime is Bold.

I checked my Inspector Data Tab for Field entry: allow in browse and find mode.

I checked Container field validation: Allow user to override during data entry

I did a Spotlight search for Quicktime and found Quicktime installed my computer.

From FMP11 help>>>

Jim,

My Insert quicktime is Bold, too.... but the application is greyed out, so it can't be selected. Also checked Container ffield validation: Allow user to override during data entry..... worked fine.

Still puzzled. May reload the OS and the FM software.

• 13. Re: Creating Container Field for PDFs
                                  JimMac

You insert a PDF file, not the application Quicktime.  If Insert Quicktime is BOLD, forget the thought about a Quicktime movie but select a .pdf file.  It is a bit misleading.

Put a multipage .pdf file on say your Desktop, then in FMP container field ... Right Click and select ....Insert Quicktime...  Use the File location dialog to find your Desktop and select the multipage .pdf file and not the Quicktime application.

Insert Quicktime... should have been labled.... Insert Multimedia and PDF files...  by Filemaker

Jim....

• 14. Re: Creating Container Field for PDFs
                                    Larryo

Jim,

That WORKED! Thanks, however can only put one file in there, and it's a bit awkward to view... but appreciated it.

Is there a way to put multiple PDFs in FMP somehow, and just click on them and they would open in acrobat?

However, thanks much for the clear explanation.

1 2 Previous Next