3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2014 1:42 PM by philmodjunk

Creating customized letters from contact database and send email

MarPerez_1

Title

Creating customized letters from contact database and send email

Hello, I have a very basic knowledge in Filemaker.I have a department contact file created in excel file, these organizations have 1,2,3 person of contact wit its own contact information; something like this:

Department 1:
           Contact person #1   position, email, home address, office address, cell phone, office phone, etc
           Contact person #2   position, email, home address, office address, cell phone, office phone, etc
           Contact person #3   position, email, home address, office address, cell phone, office phone, etc
           Contact person #4   position, email, home address, office address, cell phone, office phone, etc

I need to maintain these contacts updated regularly, and I want to create a letter with a text that contain the data I want to update for each department (90 departments in total) then send that letter from Filemaker...Is this possible to do? Sample of the letter:
           Please find below your contact information and send me any updates or changes:
           TEXT with the information from contact 1,2,3,4 etc

Is this possible? I have Filemaker 11.

Thanks, MP

• 1. Re: Creating customized letters from contact database and send email
          philmodjunk

This looks like data that you need to store in two tables, one with a single record for each contact and one with a single record for each department, though you may be able to get by without the second table for the department.

Do you intend to print this letter on paper or send it as an email?

This looks like a case where you would send the same exact message to all selected recipients with no changes made by the user, only data included from the database makes one different from another. Is that correct? Or do you want the ability to add personal touches that make one message different from those sent to another.

• 2. Re: Creating customized letters from contact database and send email
            MarPerez_1

thanks! I am planning to send it via email, and send the same exact message in the body of the letter: Hello, please see detail below and make changes, send to me, etc. So, the only data that will change from letter to letter is their contact information to be updated if needed. Then, I guess what I will have is their email with the changes and then I will need to manually look up the record and enter the changes.....

• 3. Re: Creating customized letters from contact database and send email
              philmodjunk

WHen you set up the Send Mail script step in a script, THere's a button with an arrow on it next to the box for the Body, IF you click on that button and chose the calculation option, you can create a calculation that combines text that you type in with data from your database:

"Please find below your contact information and send me any updates or changes:" & ¶ &

YourTable::Name & Char ( 9 ) & YourTable::Position & Char ( 9 )

and so forth. Char ( 9 ) is the tab character. You can also use & "  " & to separate fields with spaces instead.