1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 14, 2011 1:02 AM by Sorbsbuster

Creating first portal help

JonTaylor

Title

Creating first portal help

Since a few members helped me oh so graciously with my last problem I figured I would come back to the experts. I believe a portal is what I need but maybe not.

I have two tables that are currently related, Venues and Events. My Events table currently looks up data from the Venues table when I select which Venue the specific event will be at. This is working great, no complaints there.

What I'm currently trying to do is under Venues. I currently have a tab created called Previous Events. I want this tab to display certain information from every show that has been booked at this venue. Data that would be shown would be things like band name, date, etc.

I've been studying some of the starter solutions which have portals somewhat similar to what I'm trying to accomplish but I'm still having trouble. I presumed a portal would be what I need and even tried to set one up but didn't get anywhere.

Am I correct with needing a portal? Any push in the right direction would be much appreciated. I've searched all over the forums but couldn't pinpoint a specific thread that lead me in the right direction.

Thanks again!

• 1. Re: Creating first portal help
          Sorbsbuster

So, your Venue table has a Venue ID, and the Events table also has a field, VenueID, which shows the venue that event was at?  Then you would be able to draw a portal in Venues exactly the same as you have, but in reverse, from Events?

But I'll guess that you can't because you don't have a single 'VenueID' on every Event record, because there is no concept of a single VenueID for a band - they play at many venues.  I am guessing that when you are in the Events table and you choose a VenueID it is a global field - it doesn't really belong in any sense to the particular band you are looking at.  Or if it does belong to that band, it is only for this one Venue they are playing this time.  Next time you'll have to change the VenueID, which is not what you want to have to do.

What you need is a join table.  Effectively it sits between Venues and Events, and has two working fields VenueID and EventID.  It lists every event that took place at each of the venues.  It can have other data too, obviously, like the date of the happening.