Thank you for your post.
Although there is no "folder" option, you can create a portal into another table that will hold your PDF's and JPG's.
1. Pull down the File menu and select "Manage -> Database..." Click on the Tables tab and create a new table, "Images".
2. Click on the Fields tab and create the following two fields for the "Images" table.
3. If you don't have a key field created in your original table, switch to that table and create an ID field. If you do have a key field, then continue on.
4. Click on the Relationships tab, and you will see a graphical representation of your tables. Drag the ID field from the "Images" table to the key/ID field in your original table. You will now see a line connecting the two tables together with the ID fields at the top of each table.
5. Halfway on the line connecting the two tables is an icon. Double-click on that icon. On one side of the next dialog box shows the original table, and the other side is the "Images" table. On the "Images" table side, at the bottom, check the option to "Allow creation of records in this table via this relationship".
6. Click OK and return to your file.
7. Pull down the View menu and select "Layout Mode".
8. Along the top are icons. Mousing over these icons will show what the icon is used for. In the middle-right, find the portal tool and click on it.
9. Moving your cursor into the layout, the cursor turns into a cross. Click down and diagonally to create a box. When you let go, you will be prompted for information. At the top pop-up, select "Images" where it says "Show related records from:" and click OK.
10. When prompted for the fields, just select the "Image" field and click OK.
11. While still in Layout mode, adjust the size of the portal and the "Image" field to better reflect the size of the "Image" field.
12. Pull down the View menu and select "Browse Mode".
You can now go to a record, click inside the portal and insert a picture/file. Once entered, you can go to the next occurrence in the portal, click inside the portal and insert a picture/file. Go to another record and insert a picture.
This should get you started.
If you need clarification for any of the above steps, please let me know.
Thanks so much. I will give it a shot!
All the best,
ok great... I got to step 9.. and ran into a snag.
9. Moving your cursor into the layout, the cursor turns into a cross. check
Click down and diagonally to create a box. When you let go, you will be prompted for information. check
At the top pop-up, select "Images" where it says "Show related records from:" and click OK.
This is where i hit my problem. when this pop up window opens "show related records from" only displays "<unknown>" in it... in black. In the drop down I can see "images" (among other things) but it is grey (as is everything) and will not let me select it- except I can select "define database"- but that just takes me back to the table page. Not sure what to do next- so will leave it there until further advice from you.
Sorry for the late reply. I've been in training most of the week.
It sounds like the problem is with step #4. Make sure you have your relationship set up correctly. Then, in step #9, you will have the ability to select the Images table.
If it still isn't allowing this, then click on "define database", select the Relationships tab, and connect the two tables together.
Well thanks again... I am finally getting back to this. I went back and checked step 4 all over again... and as far as i can tell i have done everything correctly.. but darned if that step 9 is still hanging me up! the portal setup box is still giving me grey unselectable options! i did click "define database" and go back relationships page... and my original database and "pics" boxes are connected by a line and the top window of each box says "ID". There is a little box in the middle of that line and when i double click it, it opens up the "edit relationship" box- where i have checked "Allow creation of records in this table via this relationship" (this is the only box checked)... and then i hit "ok". it takes me back to the graphic of the boxes connected with the line. i hit "ok" again... go back to the portal setup and in the "Show related records from:" drop-down, all the choices are grey and unselectable.
any other ideas? I REALLY appreciate your help and patience with me. i feel like i am really close... but just can't figure it out with my limited knowledge!
OK I think i may have figured out what my problem is- but i still don't know how to correct it. when the "portal setup" opens... in the "show related records from" window.. which currently reads: <unknown>, i click to arrows to scroll down, and at the top it reads: (with a check mark) Current Table ("Preservation Survey"). Now i don't know what the "preservation survey" is... something done by my predecessor- and while i know this means nothing to you... i can tell you that when i go back to my "Relationships" table... where i have my database and my pics boxes connected with that line... there is another box floating in there that says "Preservation Survey" which does not have a line connecting to it. while i am mentioning it there is another box floating in there that is grey and simply reads "<Table Missing>" in it... neither of these boxes have any lines attached to them... the only two other boxes are my database and my pics folder- which have the line drawn between them....
does this help figure out my problem?
Thank you for the additional information. This definitely helps.
The layout you are in was originally set up using the fields from the "Preservation Survey" table. You may want to create a new table that is based upon the main table, so you can then create a portal into the related table. Once this is done, then you can proceed to step #8 and step #9.
well if and when i ever get this right i am going to feel like we've run a marathon together! thanks again so much for your patience and help with this.
so i am wondering if you can be a little more detailed with me on creating the new table. i set up a new table- but it had no contents... and so i think i was doing something wrong. can you walk me through this process?
i tried drawing a line from my new field which is actually titled "Additional Images" which has only the words "ID" and "Image" in it. in the white row at the top is "ID" with a line drawn to the database where it also is connected to "ID" in the database table. Now there is also this "Preservation Survey" window. I tried drawing a line from my "Additional Images" table to "Preservation Survey" table (connecting to ID again) and then another line down to my database "ID" but that didn't work either....
I am always able to create the portal on the database.. but it's merely a box that nothing can be dragged into...
good grief! i am sure this is an easy thing, my inexperience with building the program just seems to be holding me back.
anymore explanation might help! i feel like i am SO close!
Again thanks so much and all the best.
Sorry for the confusion. I gave you wrong information.
When I said, "You may want to create a new table that is based upon the main table,...", I should have said, "You may want to create a new LAYOUT that is based upon the main table..."
That is, pull down the View menu and select "Layout Mode". Then, under the Layouts menu, select "New Layout/Report..."
The first option under the New Layout/Report dialog box is "Show records from". Select the main file. Now, when you add a portal to this new layout, you will see the related table.