2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2011 9:47 AM by philmodjunk

Creating Help Documentation

zinny

Title

Creating Help Documentation

I am planning to create some help documentation to go with my solution. A programer recomended a program "Screen Steps" as a way of creating PDF/HTML help documents that would look very similar to Filemakers own but before paying $70 for it (I am an amature at this and won't make any money out of it) I would like to know what other people do.

How do you guys go about writing your help documentation?

• 1. Re: Creating Help Documentation
          AnaxThomas

Hello Reuben,

The industry accepted help documentation tools are RoboHelp, FrameMaker, and MadCap Flare.

However, these tools are very expensive as compared to "Screen Steps".

I would recommond you to go for free trial of "Screen Steps" and check you comfort level with it.

--

Anax

FileMaker- http://www.filemakerrecovery.net/

• 2. Re: Creating Help Documentation
            philmodjunk

Given that you are creating a database. You also have the option of setting up a table where each record is a help article and you use the same scripting, buttons, etc to search this table and bring up help articles. Not only does this eliminate the "learning cycle" involved in using any new application, it makes it very easy to setup help buttons or menu options that are context senstive. Click a help button on your data entry screen and see a help article on your data entry screen, for example.