3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2011 7:55 AM by mgores

creating letters...

julieFrith

Title

creating letters...

hello all

As always, any help would be appreciated. 

I have a db of contacts - names, address's etc.  Within the database are some layouts which are standard default letters; bringing in the name and address where appropriate etc.  

All well and good but there are occassions where i want a bespoke one off letter to one or more contacts. Is there a way of doing this simply in Filemaker? I though about a layout which had a large txt field where i could enter the body of my letter which would seem a good solution, but then what would happen if the letter was long and went over 2 or 3 pages etc..how do i set up the layout then??

Thanks in advance.

Jules

• 1. Re: creating letters...
          ryan

is there anyway you can set up a letter layout which automatically alters if it flows onto a second page? (i.e as word would do normally) or would i need to create single page layout and a multiple page layout?

Can you please explain a little more what you mean by the above statement?

• 2. Re: creating letters...
            julieFrith

Hiya

I've amended the post, hopefully this may make it a little clearer. 

My problem is how i set up a layout for a letter when i'm not sure if it will be single or multi pages long?

Jules

• 3. Re: creating letters...
              mgores

I would set up a "one off" letter layout with a single text field that went for 2 or 3 pages.  The have a script write the headings and signature.  Once the script was done you can type what you want in between then print out however many pages it comes out to be.