7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2014 7:34 AM by philmodjunk

Creating long forms in FileMaker Pro

italley

Title

Creating long forms in FileMaker Pro

I am creating long forms in FileMaker Pro with many unique questions in each form.

Each unique question is comprised of: a radio button, two fields of support data, 4 container fields, and a field for comments. There is also a map feature that collects the device location when using an iPad.

Because each question is unique, I have been creating up to 8 fields for each question. The forms I am creating contain up to 40 questions.

Example fields:

Question1

Question1_Comments

Question1_Value1

Question1_Value2

Question1_Image[1], Question1_Image[2], Question1_Image[3], Question1_Image[4]

Is there is a simpler way of approaching this?

Exp.png

• 1. Re: Creating long forms in FileMaker Pro
          philmodjunk

Yes, make each question a record in a table. Make each response collected as an answer to that question a separate record in a related table.

What you describe is essentially a questionnaire or survey. See this thread for a discussion of how to set up tables and relationships  for such: Need aid on generating a report from a survey layout.

• 2. Re: Creating long forms in FileMaker Pro
            italley

Thanks PhilModJunk! Going through the link you sent me and other related links has helped  me understand how to accomplish my goal. I do have a question regarding the solution you gave in the link. 

"Generally, you set up this type of table structure: Respondents------<Responses>-------Questions"

I have setup a similar set of tables with the corresponding relationships connecting them. You had suggested using a portal on the Respondents table to display Questions::questionstatements and Responses::responses. The issue I have run into is when viewing the list of questions and answers in the portal on the Respondents layout the answers are all the same.

Obviously since the responses are directly linked to the __pk_RespondentsID it can only show one of the response with the same __fk_RespondentsID. Did I misunderstand a step somewhere along the way? This method still works when viewing in a list on the responses layout which may be the route I will go anyways but I wanted to see If I was on the right track there as well.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Creating long forms in FileMaker Pro
              philmodjunk

The issue I have run into is when viewing the list of questions and answers in the portal on the Respondents layout the answers are all the same.

Obviously since the responses are directly linked to the __pk_RespondentsID it can only show one of the response with the same __fk_RespondentsID.

That's not the case. you have a portal here and a portal permits having many related response records. All of them will have the same respondentID, but each will link to a different question and thus have a different question ID.

• 4. Re: Creating long forms in FileMaker Pro
                italley

OK I can understand that. Could it be my script? Here is my set of tables and script. I am using the table name Forms where you use Respondents.

• 5. Re: Creating long forms in FileMaker Pro
                  philmodjunk

I think that it's more likely an issue with the design of your layout.

Your script looks OK as long as you always need to use all questions records for every Form record.

• 6. Re: Creating long forms in FileMaker Pro
                    italley

I will look through my layouts and see what I can find. Thanks again.

• 7. Re: Creating long forms in FileMaker Pro
                      philmodjunk

Check the design of your portal and make sure that your fields refer to the correct table occurrence boxes in your relationship graph. (The text to the right of :: as shown in "display data from" in the inspector's data tab is the name of the specified table occurrence box.)