4 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2014 2:21 PM by philmodjunk

Creating multiple records at once and filling in fields on creation

ShaneB

Title

Creating multiple records at once and filling in fields on creation

My users would like to be able to make X number of records at one time and be able to fill in a field, or many fields, in those records upon creation. I have not been able to find any functionality for this type of action. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Creating multiple records at once and filling in fields on creation
          philmodjunk

The following creates 5 new records:

Loop
                  Set Variable [$K ; value: $K + 1 ]
                  Exit Loop If [$K > 5 ]
                  New Record/Request
               End Loop

You can add in set field steps after New Record/Request to put values in fields or you can use Replace Field contents to assign values to fields in a batch operation. (Replace field contents modifies the value of a specified field for every record in the current found set.)

Data specifying the number of records and/or the data to be assigned to fields in each new record can be entered into (often Global) fields or passed to the script as a script parameter.

• 2. Re: Creating multiple records at once and filling in fields on creation
            ShaneB

I can see how I could make a button that says "make 5 records", but that only sort of solves half my problem. I frequently have a few users creating a number of records very quickly. This then causes a little interference when a user would prefer to just have a bunch of blank records to work with in a row that they have "reserved" as theirs, which would be indicated by the fields that get filled in during record creation. So for example, User A would want to create 10 records with "Bill Smith" filled into the "Name" field of the record so that he can just work with those 10 empty Bill Smith records while User A fills in the remainder of the fields.

Therefore the "Set field" steps in the script couldn't be hard-coded. Replace field would work, potentially, if after the script ran the user only saw the new records they just created. Is this possible?

• 3. Re: Creating multiple records at once and filling in fields on creation
              philmodjunk

To repeat from my last post:

Data specifying the number of records and/or the data to be assigned to fields in each new record can be entered into (often Global) fields or passed to the script as a script parameter.

In addition, you can set a text field to auto-enter either a user name or an account name automatically when the record is first created.

And if desirable, Record Level Access control can be set up in Manage | Security to limit a user's ability to see and edit these records to just those with their account or user name.

(Account names are defined in Manage | Security. User names are defined in Preferences.)

• 4. Re: Creating multiple records at once and filling in fields on creation
                philmodjunk

And Set field can use the expressions, Get ( AccountName ) or Get ( UserName ) to assign these values to a field after the new record is created.

Replace field Contents can also use these functions.