1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 17, 2015 11:44 AM by philmodjunk

Creating multiple related records and displaying each on separate tabs

amandahbell

Title

Creating multiple related records and displaying each on separate tabs

Product:  Filemaker Pro Advanced 13

My Schema

Site--<Transects--<Transect Points

Each site has 11 transects and each Transect has unlimited points.

For each Transect all of the information collected is the same. As is the information for each transect point.

I want to be able to flip through them quickly so I thought putting together a Tab Control with 11 tabs name T1-T11 would work well.

I don't want to do a portal because I want the use to focus on one transect at a time.

Here is where I'm stuck:

1) I need to create 11 transects when I create a new Site Record--What script do I use?

2) I need only the Transect information for the transect number that is displayed to show up on each tab.

I already have a script on a main page to create a new record so I assume that I could add another script to that button to add the transects and number them.

I also have a Value that displays the Current Tab Number.

• 1. Re: Creating multiple related records and displaying each on separate tabs
          philmodjunk

You may not want to use a portal, but you will have to in order to show a different record in each tab. Your layout can be based on sites and two portals can be placed on each tab, one for the Transect and one for the Transect Points associated with that Transect.

Portal filters can limit each portal to just one Transect record or just the Transect Points records for the tab panel's Transect.

The draw back to this approach is that you can't ever have 12 or more Transects for a site without modifying the design of your layout accordingly. Other options do not have those limits

1) you don't actually have to create the transect records at the same time that you create the site record. These can be created automatically as part of the process of recording data into a field of the transect record on a given tab.

2) see my earlier comments on portal filters that can be used to limit the portal records on each tab to those for a specific Transect  associated with the current site.