1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 26, 2013 11:05 AM by philmodjunk

Creating multiple relationships in Filemaker Pro 10

johnoconnor

Title

Creating multiple relationships in Filemaker Pro 10

I am creating a item number cross reference Filemaker Pro 10 database in Windows. In the main database table, "X-Ref Master", there will be unique values without duplicates. I will have the following fields: Item Number, Description, Replacement 1 & Replacement 2. I will have a second "Item Master" table that will have unique values without duplicates with Item Master Number, Item Master Description. I want to be able to add a record to the main X-Ref Master table and when I would enter an item number in either the  Replacement 1 or Replacement 2 fields show the Item Description from the Item Master table. When I create a relationship between "X-Ref Master" Replacement 1 and "Item Master" Item Master Number if the related record is present it shows the related Item Master Description from the "Item Master" table in my X-Ref Master layout. How can I add a second relationship for Replacement 2 to show the applicable description?

• 1. Re: Creating multiple relationships in Filemaker Pro 10
          philmodjunk

Make a second table occurrence of Item Master and use it for the second relationship:

In Manage | Database | relationships, make a new table occurrence of Item Master by clicking it and then clicking the duplicate button (2 green plus signs). You can double click the new occurrence box to get a dialog to appear where you can rename the new occurrence box.

We have not duplicated a table. Instead, this is a new reference to the same table already present in your database.

You may also want to using a different approach than two separate replacement fields. You could define a 3rd table to link to both x-Ref Master and Item Master with one replacement item listed in each separate reocrd. This results in a simpler relationship structure and also allow you to list any number of replacement items. You are no longer limited to just two.