2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2012 1:55 AM by Edu

Creating new child serial ID.

Edu

Title

Creating new child serial ID.

Apologies if I am asking something that has been asked already in the past. I've been looking already for few hours in different forums as well and I don't find something that is "close enough" to what I am looking.

I want to create a child serial number ID that is connected to a parent ID from a parent table. My problem is that when I set the child ID as serial number it affects all child IDs and not only the one I want. Is there a way I can write a script to fix this?

Parent table is "Patients". In this table I have clients number ID field "PatientNo". Its child table is "PatientsVisitDetails" and the serial number id I want to use is "NumberOfVisits".

Right now I have set "ClientNo" as serial number on creation and I have no problem with this. The problem is with "NumberOfVisits". Let's say I register patient "A" and this patient visits 3 times. Its patient number will be 1 and then it will assign details for each visit which are 3 in total. If I register a new patient "B" it will asign 2 for PatientNo, but when I add a new record FM will set number "4" instead of 1 for NumberOfVisits to this patient.  I want the child serial number to be independent from others.

Apologies if I am not providing enough information.

Any ideas of how I can fix this?

Thank you in advance

• 1. Re: Creating new child serial ID.
          philmodjunk

I don't think you need a serial number field at all.

and then it will assign details for each visit which are 3 in total

Each record in PatientsVisitDetails should document a separate visit. To count the number of related records in PatientsVistDetails does not require a serial number field.

From Patients, Count ( ParetintsVistitDetails::PatientNo ) will return the total number of visits. From PatientvisitDetails a self join reltionship based on the patientNo field can produce the same count.

• 2. Re: Creating new child serial ID.
            Edu

Thank you!