1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 19, 2014 2:19 PM by philmodjunk

Creating new fields on old templates...

TommyTrojan

Title

Creating new fields on old templates...

Hello,

I'm a fairly new to FMP - apologies if this is a common question. I searched the forum but didn't see a thread for it.

I'm working with a pre-existing FMP template. It has a drop-down field, and I'm hoping to add several identical drop-downs to the template - same values in all the fields. I think I need to be in Layout mode in order to add this, but the layout button is grayed out.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to add these drop-downs? Apologies if I'm leaving out any relevant information - any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Creating new fields on old templates...
          philmodjunk

The Edit Layout button should not be greyed out. Could the file be protected by a password and you have it open with a lower level password?

But adding "several identical drop-downs to the template - same values in all the fields." does not sound like the best database design. You would not do this in Layout mode in any case as you would need to define additional fields using Manage | Database | Fields before then adding the new fields to your layout.

This does not seem like a good approach as the need to have several fields that all record the same type of data suggests that you will likely be much better off adding a portal to a related table where each "field" is now a record in the related table.