8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2012 10:41 AM by dg3321

Creating New Layouts based on 1 Table

dg3321

Title

Creating New Layouts based on 1 Table

I have a layout which tracks various types of information about my clients each year (each new record in the layout is a client).  For each new year, i create a new layout.  In the past, i have also created a new table to correspond to the new layout (year).  During this process, i copy and paste the fields from the old table to the new table (in 'manage database').  Then in the new layout, i have to click on each field and link it to the new table.  This is quite the cumbersome task as there are a lot of fields on this table.  For the upcoming new layout/year (2013), i tried something different but hit a snag.  I created the new layout, but this time had it show records from the 2012 table; thinking i wouldn't have to then link up each field, which was correct.  However, the snag that i hit was that all of the records that were in the 2012 table were now in the 2013 table.  I thought i would have a blank slate to work from in a new layout; but using the fields from the prior year's table (since the fields remain the same each year; the information that goes in their for each client changes every year.

I'm assuming there is an easier way to set this up.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Creating New Layouts based on 1 Table
          philmodjunk

However, the snag that i hit was that all of the records that were in the 2012 table were now in the 2013 table

Actually, I think +you don't have a new table. You just have two layouts that refer to data in the same table.

The easier way is to not do this at all. Don't create new tables nor new layouts for each new year. (By the way, you can use import records with the new table option to make a new copy of an existing table without having to do it field by field.)

Just keep all your data in one single table and use the same layout from year to year. Finds, sorts and relationships can all be used to limit your view of your data to just one year's data at a time.

• 2. Re: Creating New Layouts based on 1 Table
            dg3321

Ok, thanks.

Can you further explain how to import records with the new table option to make a new copy of an existing table without having to do it field by field?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Creating New Layouts based on 1 Table
              philmodjunk

That would be helping you do what you shouldn't be doing here. frown

Just select Import records from the File menu. Select the very file you already have open in the open file dialog box that pops up. Select New Table from the target table drop down.

• 4. Re: Creating New Layouts based on 1 Table
                dg3321

Ok.  I understand.  My concern is that my filemaker knowledge is not advanced enough to set it up how it really should be done.

• 5. Re: Creating New Layouts based on 1 Table
                  philmodjunk

Performing a find for all records dated with a current year is as simple as entering find mode and typing just the year number into the date field. A script to do this automatically or each time a button is clicked or when a year is selected from a drop down list isn't much more complicated.

• 6. Re: Creating New Layouts based on 1 Table
                    dg3321

I'm still considering setting this up as it should be done.  But in the meantime, i wanted to try the other method you mentioned, importing records/creating a new table etc.  Does this simply create a new table?  B/c i know i can copy and paste (i have fmp advanced) from table to table as well.  The issue i'm having is that when i duplicate the layout for the new year and set it to show records from the new table, the fields are not linking up directly (green dot) to the new table, they are still showing the fields from the prior year's table (yellow dot).  Is there any way to set this up so that when i duplicate the layout and set it up to show records from the new table, that the fields are already set up to be pulled from the new table?

• 7. Re: Creating New Layouts based on 1 Table
                      philmodjunk

Does this simply create a new table?

This also imports a set of records into the new table. If you want an empty table, your next step would be to delete the record or records so imported. (To speed this up, set up a found set of just one record in the source table before importing.)

If you have advanced, I'd just copy and paste the table as this does not import the data. (I suggested Import records on the assumption that you didn't have Advanced.)

There is no built in method for mass updating the fields that I know of--though there may be third party tools that enable this.

• 8. Re: Creating New Layouts based on 1 Table
                        dg3321

Ok, thanks for the tip!