4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2014 9:56 AM by EmmaPerlaky

Creating New Record in FM 13

EmmaPerlaky

Title

Creating New Record in FM 13

Not long ago I have upgraded to FM13 and also installed FM server. It seemed everything was working fine until I wanted to add a new record. Clicking the "new record"  the application stopped doing anything, I had to kill it via the task manager. Than I went back and found that there is a new blank record what can update. Trying the new record again (just as FM 13 Pro Advance and / or via the server) I am always getting the same problem. I suspect that the problem is with FM 13 since using a local database I had the same issue.

Sure I am doing something wrong, but can someone help me to figure out what it is and how to correct it?

Thank you very much

Emma Perlaky

• 1. Re: Creating New Record in FM 13
          philmodjunk

If there were a problem with FileMaker when using New Record as you describe, FileMaker Inc. would be buried under user complaints and bug reports. It is much more likely that there is either an issue with your file, your computer or your installation of FileMaker 13.

First run a small test by creating a simple new file from scratch and try creating new records in it. (I assume that you are selecting new record from the records menu, clicking the tool bar button for this or pressing the key board short cut for new records and not running a script.) If you can create a new record in this new file without any problem, then it is likely that there is something wrong with the files where doing this crashes FileMaker or "hangs" it and I would run a recover on them to check them for damage. If it crashes, I would uninstall and re-install FileMaker.

• 2. Re: Creating New Record in FM 13
            EmmaPerlaky

Thank you. Just for clarification: when I wrote that the problem is with FM 13, I did not mean that the bug is in the software. I only wanted to indicate that it has nothing to do with the server I just installed. Sorry for the not precise expression.

Since the test you have recommended worked perfectly, I investigated it a bit further and was able to locate the problem just to one specific layout's one specific view. I guess I need to recreate that layout. Of course it is the most complex one. 

Thank you again

Emma Perlaky

• 3. Re: Creating New Record in FM 13
              philmodjunk

If you have any back ups of your file. Test them. If one of them does not show this issue, you may be able to create a new layout in your current file and copy and paste all of your layout elements from this "clean" backup copy of your file.

• 4. Re: Creating New Record in FM 13
                EmmaPerlaky

Thank you, Will try.