5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2010 12:37 PM by fitch

creating online data entry file program

tconnors10

Title

creating online data entry file program

i am new to file maker, using file maker Pro 10 Advanced on a Mac Book Pro OS X.  I have created a file for clients to use for personal info submission, like credit card, room preference, all booking personal info into a file that i would like to import from my website where they have gone online and submitted this said info. can this file be accessed for submission only be each person, with out access once submitted, meaning they cannot see others info submitted nor their own, would have to resubmit if changes.  i want to know if I can somehow link this file to my website on a secure page for client submission, or do i need to get this on a server. i have an Mac Server and need to know if i need to get filemaker server or can i just use the server for online submission.  I want to have the group leader have a user name and password to go into the submissions to see if who from their group submitted their own info.  I need this to work as people don't want to hand out their info anymore and we have to have group bookings still.  i need a little guidance and would apprecaite it if you have any advise. 

• 1. Re: creating online data entry file program
          fitch

If you expect people to take the time to help you, then you should take the time to compose a readable help request. Sorry but I gave up about halfway through your post.

FWIW it sounds like you probably want to look into a FileMaker hosting company.

• 2. Re: creating online data entry file program
            tconnors10

okay, let me try again.

1. i have created a file using file maker 10 advanced for internet users to submit personal info into the file i created to then be uploaded or downloaded into a data base i need to book multiple groups for an event.  And i am trying to create a form to fill out using file maker to enter in their personal credit card, preferences for their own individual info with in a specific group for a specific event.

2. my question is how do i then get the file i created using file maker 10 advanced to be used on the internet?  when i purchased file maker 10 advanced they told me i may need to get a server and then get file maker server program to run this file for input by guest on the internet using many different internet access ie: IE, Firefox, etc.

3.  I need to allow outside users to input info into into this file for collection to place in a specific group associated with that specific clients group.

4. I do have a hosted website, i do also have a Mac Server.  I want to know if I can upload this file which is an input file for internet users to my website or do i need to purchase filemaker server?  once the clients input info, i need to access that info and also give others access via password to that same info entered.

5. I am asking for some help being new to file maker.  I hope this is clearer.

• 3. Re: creating online data entry file program
              philmodjunk

You can use Filemaker Pro or Filemaker Servier Advanced to publish the database to the internet so that others can access it in their web browsers. Filemaker Pro 10 limits you to 5 simultaneous users. I haven't checked to see if Filemaker 11 is the same, but it probably is. Since this doesn't sound like enought capability for your project you're looking at either hiring a company to host the database for you or purchasing Filemaker Server Advanced.

There are two options for publishing your database to the web: Instant Web Publishing (IWP) and Custom Web Publishing (CWP). You'll need to research both options to determine how well they will work for you.

• 4. Re: creating online data entry file program
                tconnors10

Thank you.

So basically i can't use a server i have and Filemaker pro server programing.  I think i understand what you are saying, and will look at my website to see if i can have it hosted on this too.   I guess when asking questions when i purchased the programming for file maker 10 advanced they miss understood what i was in need of doing with the file once created. 

• 5. Re: creating online data entry file program
                  fitch

1. i have created a file using file maker 10 advanced for internet users to submit personal info into the file i created to then be uploaded or downloaded into a data base i need to book multiple groups for an event.  And i am trying to create a form to fill out using file maker to enter in their personal credit card, preferences for their own individual info with in a specific group for a specific event.

Red Flag! Credit card security is a huge can of worms that is a subject for a whole other discussion.

2. my question is how do i then get the file i created using file maker 10 advanced to be used on the internet?  when i purchased file maker 10 advanced they told me i may need to get a server and then get file maker server program to run this file for input by guest on the internet using many different internet access ie: IE, Firefox, etc.

There are basically three ways to share FileMaker data on the web: static files, Instant Web Publishing (IWP), or Custom Web Publishing (CWP). To use your own server requires at least one computer, a static IP address and a copy of FileMaker Server (for CWP) or FileMaker Server Advanced (for IWP). Check out the FileMaker help article on this topic.

3.  I need to allow outside users to input info into into this file for collection to place in a specific group associated with that specific clients group.

That's possibly a subject for a different thread, as "place in a specific group" has no direct translation in database terms. Possibly you want to simply set a text field with a value such as "vendor" or "client" for example.

4. I do have a hosted website, i do also have a Mac Server.  I want to know if I can upload this file which is an input file for internet users to my website or do i need to purchase filemaker server?  once the clients input info, i need to access that info and also give others access via password to that same info entered.

Web hosting companies serve up HTML, PHP, MySQL, etc. FileMaker is proprietary, it has its own hosting engine. There are a handful of FileMaker hosting companies, and I think this may be a good option for you.

Another possibility, depending on the level of access you have to your website, is to use standard web tools: store the data in MySQL using your existing website. Then use FileMaker ESS to view the data in FileMaker.

5. I am asking for some help being new to file maker.  I hope this is clearer.

I hope this was helpful.