3 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2014 3:51 PM by philmodjunk

Creating PDFs

Girouard

Title

Creating PDFs & Crashing

I am using FM Pro 12v5 and when trying to create PDFs the file will crash. Sometimes it opens up fine, sometimes it has to verify & worst case I have to recover the file. I have tried many of the suggested work arounds, with no success, problem is most of the fixes have been for others with the same issue but a different version. I have not upgraded to Maverick, although I hear people having issues there also. I have only been working with the program a short time so if anyone has suggestions I would greatly appreciate them. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Creating PDFs & Crashing
          philmodjunk

If You create a brand new file with a simple layout and try to produce PDF's in the same fashion from this file, do you also get the same crash?

If this is only specific to your original file, there may be a problem with your file.

If the new file shows the same behavior, it would seem that there's an issue with either FileMaker or you rcomputer and then this sounds like something you should post to Report an Issue as a possible bug.

Is it FileMaker or your PDF Reader that is crashing?

Are you Saving as PDF?

With the "open" options selected?

Are you viewing the PDF in an Interactive Container Field?

• 2. Re: Creating PDFs & Crashing
            Girouard

It is Filemaker that crashes. When I try to create a PDF from the "Print" command. 
            I am not sure what you mean by "open" option, I have only been using Filemaker a short time.
            We have many separate files for different clients and there are now 2 that will crash when creating the PDFs that I need to send to my vendors. 
            I make sure the "current record" is checked not the "browsed records".

• 3. Re: Creating PDFs & Crashing
              philmodjunk

Save as PDF is another method for generating a PDF. It has an option to open the PDF automatically after the PDF has been created. If you had used that option, the crash might happen when the PDF is created or when the PDF is opened and so I was trying to check a detail there.

You might try the Save As PDF option and see if you get the same result, but I'll be surprised if you don't as it pretty much interacts with the same software.

If you are generating PDF's from the Print Dialog, then I must assume that these are Mac OS systems as this is not an option for Windows systems. On what version of the OS is this happening?

What Version of FileMaker are you using?

If you create a brand new simple file on one of the computers where you see this crash and produce a PDF form this test file, do you get a crash from it? (This can rule out issues with that specific database file if that also produces crashing.)

There are several known issues with FileMaker and PDF's that I can find in the Known Bugs List. At least one produces crashes, but I don't have a clear enough understanding of the details in your case to tell yet whether or not you might have encountered one of them.

Note that crashes can damage a database file and damaged database files can result in crashes. For both reasons, it would be good idea to use Recover from the File menu to check over any file that has crashed for possible file damage. (Launch FileMaker without opening the file, select Recover and then select the file to be recovered.)

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1.           The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
              3.           Recover does not detect all problems
              5.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
              7.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).