AnsweredAssumed Answered

Creating Project Database in relation to TMK and Client

Question asked by Kaspoon808 on Apr 15, 2014
Latest reply on Apr 17, 2014 by philmodjunk

Title

Creating Project Database in relation to TMK and Client

Aloha!

I have been tasked with creating a database to bring our small firm into the digital age. There will be literally thousands of entries made to modernize our Project Directory. Yeah, its a huge leap for us. Unfortunately, I am the guy who needs to set this up. I have a very basic knowledge of FMPro and am currently trying to increase that knowledge. I'm currently using FM Pro 13. 

Every project has:

A. Project Number - a unique number based on year and order of creation, for example: "14-001" being the first project of 2014.

B. Tax Map Key(s) = unique number that identifies each individual parcel of land. That number is a 9 digit number series. that is created by combining the Island, Zone, Section, Plat and Parcel. example 0-0-0-000:000. These are critical as the State of Hawaii, various County Offices and other records use these numbers to identify parcels. 

C. Client - each client may have several persons of contact.

D. Employee - person assigned to Project

E. Field Book - Book number and page of field work.

F. Description - A short paragraph describing Project

G. Date - Date Project was created.

A Project may be related to multiple TMK's
     A Client may be related to multiple Projects
     An Employee may be related to multiple Projects

I have created tables; TaxMapKey, Projects, Clients, Employee, Join_Projects_Clients, Join_Projects_TaxMapKey, Join_Projects_Employee. The appropriate ForeignKeys have been made and I have done my best to relate the tables correctly, however, i am having a few issues.

1. The TMK table is probably the most problematic. The sum of the parts, as stated above, needs to be a unique number. No redundancies. I've created a calculation field to combine the parts. how can i attribute an existing TMK and a new TMK with a Project? 

2. Upon assigning a Client to a Project, i am getting redundant data in the Client::ClientName field. Is there a way to create a new Client or choose an existing client from the same field?

3. The same issue is happening with Employee::EmployeeName

Any help or links with these issues would be truly appreciated. 

Mahalo Nui Loa,

John

Outcomes