5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2014 9:30 PM by NicholasFernandez

Creating Records in Related Table

NicholasFernandez

Title

Creating Records in Related Table

Hi,

I have two tables -- "Photos" and "Invoices" -- with a many-to-one relationship defined by "SourceAndInvoiceID," which is a unique field in table "Invoices" (it is a text field that auto-fills through a calculation that concatenates

In the "Invoices" layout, I have the following fields: Photos::Source, Photos::Inv. #, Photos::Inv. Date, Photos::Cost, Invoices::SourceAndInvoiceID.

Here's the problem: when I create a new record in this view, the information in disappears as soon as I click out of the record. The record remains as a blank record, and the information is stored in the "Photos" table, but it is just invisible in the "Invoices" layout. 

Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong?
           Thanks,

Nick

• 1. Re: Creating Records in Related Table
          philmodjunk

(it is a text field that auto-fills through a calculation that concatenates

An auto-entered serial number is simpler and safer. many auto-enter calculations can easily generate duplicate values if you have more than one user generating new invoices at the same time.

Is there a portal to Photos on your Invoices layout?

• 2. Re: Creating Records in Related Table
            NicholasFernandez

I'm aware of the benefits of serial number generation, but we don't create the invoices and the company is not willing to go to auto-generated serials for this database. My hands are tied in that regard, but I've implemented double checks that will make duplication noticeable, though not impossible. 

As for the related records, I am not using a portal. I had previously done so, but the lack of a portal makes the records easier to view in list view regardless of screen size. Is this my problem? 

Nick

• 3. Re: Creating Records in Related Table
              philmodjunk

You can keep the auto-entered field, just don't use it as a match field. use the auto-entered serial number for your relationships. The company need not even know it's there.

I don't see how this can work without a portal. You have to use the portal to be able to have more than one record from Photos shown on your Invoices layout.

• 4. Re: Creating Records in Related Table
                NicholasFernandez

Hi Phil,

I might not be doing a good job of describing the setup. The "Invoices" layout doesn't show the individual items that are listed on each invoice; it is just a list of the invoices. I have a separate layout where each invoice is detailed with all of its accompanying photos, and on that layout I use portals.

In the "Invoices" layout, I'm not looking to display photo records. I want to display each invoice. However, unlike many setups, where an invoice would be created, and then products would be assigned to the invoice, this database starts with a list of photos that are then billed and when we receive an invoice we assign that invoice number to each photo that is on it.

Does that help at all? I'm not having trouble displaying the invoices that are already in the system, and I can even add invoices from either layout without a problem. It's just that in the "Invoices" layout, the record appears empty until I re-generate the invoices table from the photos table.

• 5. Re: Creating Records in Related Table
                  NicholasFernandez

well, i created a workaround. Not very elegant, but it serves the purpose. I'm leaving the company in two weeks, so this will let them continue doing what they are comfortable with.

Thanks for your answers.

Nick