3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2009 3:15 PM by philmodjunk

Creating relationships among tables

JungleJane

Title

Creating relationships among tables

We use FMPro 9.0v1, in part, to create itineraries. I am trying to create a relationship between the fields in the table "Hotels" and the fields in "Travel_Lodging" so that when I go to an individual itinerary, a drop down menu of hotels appears when I tab to hotel name. The same thing should happen for phone, address, and city. I have gone to manage database and clicked on tables, relationships, and fields with no luck. Most recently I have received the error message "There are no fields that look up the values on the field "Hotel Phone," "Hotel Name," etc. 

In the process of this, I have created Travel_Lodging 2, 3, 4 and Hotels 2, 3, 4.  

Can anyone help me to create the relationships so that when I go to the different fields on "Travel Lodging," my data will appear?

• 1. Re: Creating relationships among tables
          philmodjunk

There's a lot you don't say about your database that could greatly affect how to do what you want.

For starters:

A single record in Hotel unquely identifies one hotel somewhere on the planet with name, address and other data about it?

A single record in Travel_Lodging represents...

A single lodging stop on a traveler's journey identifying the hotel selected and the length of stay?

• 2. Re: Creating relationships among tables
            JungleJane

Thanks for writing. I'm using Mac OSX, 10.5.7, BTW. This DB is used by about 6 people, and I have kind of messed it up and am trying to fix it. I didn't create any of the scripts. All I wanted to do was add info, and somehow in doing that, I managed to delete fields and/or rel. among tables. 

We have a visitor coming. I put in the airline, the flight, the times, where she will stay, who will pick her up from the airport, who will take her back and when, etc. 

We have 5 possible hotels, with corresponding phone numbers, addresses, and websites. I need to re-establish the table relationships so that when I go to the box on my "Travel and Lodging" form labeled "Phone number" I don't get the error message, "There are no fields that look up the values based on the field "Hotel phone."

• 3. Re: Creating relationships among tables
              philmodjunk

I repeat my questions:

What data are you storing in Hotels?

What data are you storing in Travel_Lodging?

Until you have clearly defined tables, the relationships will be useless.