2 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2013 4:19 AM by AlanJames

Creating Stacked Bar Charts from Survey Results

AlanJames

Title

Creating Stacked Bar Charts from Survey Results

I have results from a survey which I have imported into a Filemaker 12 file with the relationship 

Respondants > Responses < Questions

This works very well for analysing the majority of the questions. 

One set of questions I am having problems charting though are where I have several separate questions asking about different competitor web sites.

1) Do you visit websiteA - Daily, Weekly, Occasionally, Never

2) Do you visit websiteB - Daily, Weekly, Occasionally, Never

etc. for around 12 web sites.

What I want to create is a stacked bar chart with websiteA, websiteB etc. along the bottom, and the stacked bar showing the various responses for each web site. I can easily identify which answer corresponds to which question but I can't figure out what the sort order is to get the chart to display the separate questions as separate bars.

Any help appreciated.

Alan

• 1. Re: Creating Stacked Bar Charts from Survey Results
          philmodjunk

A stacked bar chart has the same requirement that a line chart with several lines has: You need a separate data series of Y-axis values for each line or each component of your stacked bar.

One way to get that is with a series of calculation fields that only return a value for a specific response such as:

If ( Responses::Answer = "Always" ; 1 )

You can then set up summary fields that total each of these different calculation fields to return a count of the number of responses with that answer and each of these summary fields can be specied for a different y-axis data series in your stacked bar chart.

• 2. Re: Creating Stacked Bar Charts from Survey Results
            AlanJames

Thanks again, that has solved my problem although I did struggle to get the chart to display a percentage rather than the total number of responses.