4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2009 3:25 PM by philmodjunk

Creating survey results database

Merritt

Title

Creating survey results database

I need to enter the responses from a customer service database.  The subjects are things like customer service, ease of use, etc. and the responses are very satisfied, somewhat satisfied, somewhat dissatisfied, very dissatisfied, not applicable.  The survey was in paper form, and people checked off their choice.  Now I need to create a database to enter those responses and be able to run reports.  Have never used FileMaker and am lost....didn't see a template that could be customized.  Please help!

• 1. Re: Creating survey results database
          TSGal

Merritt:

Thank you for your post.

I'm not aware of any template for surveys, but that shouldn't stop you for creating your own.

Here are some steps that should get you pointed in the right direction.

Create a field for each question that is being asked.  The name of the field does not need to be the entire question.  You can change the field label to display the entire question.  For example, create a field "Name".  On the layout, next to the field will display the label "Name".  You can then edit this to display "What is your name?"

In Layout Mode (under the View menu), double click on one of your multiple value fields.  For example, the field "Customer Service".   The Field/Control Setup dialog box appears.  On the left side, under "Control Style", there is a pop-up box next to "Display as".  You can change this to "Pop-up Menu" (which requires one value) or "Checkbox Set" (check multiple values).  Once this is chosen, another pop-up box appears next to "Display values from".  Select "Manage Value Lists..."  Another dialog box appears.  Click on "New..." (bottom left corner) and another dialog box appears.  Enter the name "Customer Service" and you are going to use Custom Values.  Enter the following values on separate lines:

Very Satisfied

Somewhat Satisfied

Somewhat Dissatisfied

Very Dissatisfied

Not Applicable

At this point, click OK three times to return you to Layout Mode.  Go to Browse Mode (View menu) and you should be able to select one of the values.

At any time, you can go into Find Mode (View menu), check the option "Very Satisfied", and press return.  Only those records where "Very Satisfied" will be displayed.

You can then run reports based upon totals of these fields.

This should get you pointed in the right direction.  If you run into any difficulty and need clarification for any of the above steps, please let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Creating survey results database
            comment_1

TSGal wrote:
            Create a field for each question that is being asked.

You will be quite limited in your reporting abilities this way. There should be a separate record for each response, with fields for who responded,  to which question, and what was the reponse. Only then you'll be able to group responses by question, e.g.:

Customer Service:

• Very Good: 18%

• Good: 35%

Ease of Use:

• Very Good: 11%

• Good: 21%

It follows from this that there should be separate tables for Questions, Subjects and Responses.

This BTW is not an easy setup to implement - not something I would recommend to a beginner.

• 3. Re: Creating survey results database
              EricP

TS -

Thanks for the post, and prior to reading it, I set up my survey just as your explained. A field, with checkboxes.

Do you have a suggestion for tabulating these results? I wondered if creating a separate layout with either a summary part, or new fields with summaries, was the way to go, or if it's possible.

Thanks

Eric

• 4. Re: Creating survey results database
                philmodjunk
                   That's why Comment recommended a different approach. Tabulating responses will be difficult if each question has its own field instead of putting each question in a different record.